Register on the forum now to remove ALL ads + popups + get access to tons of hidden content for members only!
vintage erotica forum vintage erotica forum vintage erotica forum
vintage erotica forum

Go Back   Vintage Erotica Forums > Classic Models > Softcore Models

Follow Vintage Erotica Forum on Twitter
Best Porn Sites Meet Our Girls Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices
Softcore Models Playmates, Page 3 girls, magazine and film nude models that started their career in 1995 or before.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2017, 09:38 AM   #881
palo5
Super Moderator
 
palo5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 10,511
Thanks: 372,845
Thanked 123,021 Times in 10,642 Posts
palo5 500000+palo5 500000+palo5 500000+palo5 500000+palo5 500000+palo5 500000+palo5 500000+palo5 500000+palo5 500000+palo5 500000+palo5 500000+
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by effCup View Post
The thread for Anette Dybdal has been renamed to Josephine Moore. A title-only search for Anette Dybdal fails to find her, even though that name is present in the titles of some subsequent posts in that thread.

Can mods. say why they chose/privileged that name, amongst her several candidate names?
Yes, firstly It hasn't been renamed, it's just been simplified. The original thread title was Josephine Moore. Over the years three aka's -- including Anette Dybdal -- were added to the title. Last year it was decided to move all aka's from titles to the first line of the first post, and this policy was implemented section-wide during full-section cleaning. This cleaned up our index pages, while keeping aka's visible in a general search, and also if a mouse cursor is placed on the thread title

Because aka's, publisher's names, and the other blurb we used to entertain, is now no longer a part of the title, they won't show in title searches. But none of the data is lost, and as mentioned above, they are visible in general searches

In this case, the thread retained its original title. In other cases, original titles were changed because a title with first name / last name was thought more desirable than a more ambiguous single name only

There will always be cases where Members don't agree with a title -- that's fine, because this is a Forum, and we can discuss it. But please remember that many of the names and aka's are likely to be and indeed are fake, we are not CSI, and assigning an appropriate name for a title is often a judgment call and not a science
palo5 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to palo5 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2017, 02:24 PM   #882
effCup
Vintage Idiot
 
effCup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Dildo Baggins' backyard
Posts: 12,474
Thanks: 140,676
Thanked 138,629 Times in 12,242 Posts
effCup 500000+effCup 500000+effCup 500000+effCup 500000+effCup 500000+effCup 500000+effCup 500000+effCup 500000+effCup 500000+effCup 500000+effCup 500000+
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by palo5 View Post
please remember that many of the names and aka's are likely to be and indeed are fake, we are not CSI, and assigning an appropriate name for a title is often a judgment call and not a science
That's right, they're professional handles, not (mostly) their real names. But the search (in MIR) is for best-known-as professional handles, and I think that's also what you'd want/expect for model thread titles, isn't it?

If the policy of softcore models mods. is to prefer the first name found in each model's thread title, then be aware that that's often simply the first name that was found/encountered--i.e. subsequent names tend often to be appended rather than pre-pended. It therefore is not necessarily the model's best-known-as handle.

Unfortunately, I think it would be equally mistaken to always prefer the last name found in a model's title. I think there is no short-cut other than knowing or asking the folks who are familiar with the model's body of work.

I think I've already provided some evidence for why Anette Dybdal is perhaps a better-known-as handle for her than Josephine Moore.

Addendum: some other websites give her full name as also single-N rather than double-N, i.e. Anette Dybdal Simonsen. /shrug/

Quote:
Originally Posted by palo5 View Post
There will always be cases where Members don't agree with a title
If my posts in this thread on that topic really all related to that--i.e. simply to preference--then you'd likely be seeing them in far greater numbers than you currently do. Instead I've carefully restricted my posts to only those few cases where I believe there's evidence that suggests the titles that have been preferred are mistaken, are not the handles that other members think of and use for these models.
effCup is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to effCup For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2017, 03:04 PM   #883
effCup
Vintage Idiot
 
effCup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Dildo Baggins' backyard
Posts: 12,474
Thanks: 140,676
Thanked 138,629 Times in 12,242 Posts
effCup 500000+effCup 500000+effCup 500000+effCup 500000+effCup 500000+effCup 500000+effCup 500000+effCup 500000+effCup 500000+effCup 500000+effCup 500000+
Default

Additional evidence. This is part of hos' old MIR catalogue of solved model ids. R1, 4th from left:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper II View Post
... maybe that resource could help model mods for deciding some other model thread titles? /shrug/

Last edited by effCup; 05-15-2017 at 03:13 PM..
effCup is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to effCup For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2017, 03:17 PM   #884
raval
Vintage Member
 
raval's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,896
Thanks: 2,486
Thanked 47,400 Times in 1,864 Posts
raval 175000+raval 175000+raval 175000+raval 175000+raval 175000+raval 175000+raval 175000+raval 175000+raval 175000+raval 175000+raval 175000+
Default Anette Dybdal


Anette Dybdal, Miss Denmark 1977, Annette Dybdal Simonsen Semi-finalists in Miss World 1977
raval is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to raval For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2017, 04:13 PM   #885
palo5
Super Moderator
 
palo5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 10,511
Thanks: 372,845
Thanked 123,021 Times in 10,642 Posts
palo5 500000+palo5 500000+palo5 500000+palo5 500000+palo5 500000+palo5 500000+palo5 500000+palo5 500000+palo5 500000+palo5 500000+palo5 500000+
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by effCup View Post
... maybe that resource could help model mods for deciding some other model thread titles? /shrug/
Indeed it could, but it lacks a solve date and the reasoning that led to it. What I can tell you is that the thread has had its current title since 2007, and everyone accepted it. The Anette aka was only added in 2012, 5 years later, but not adopted as the lead-name

It can certainly be argued that a certain name is "perhaps better-known" as you put it, because that name appears in one or two individual issues more. But that does not necessarily mean that it's better-known, because it does not take distribution numbers into account, or the fact that only enthusiasts would have remembered it anyway -- people are much more likely to learn names from this site than they ever were from decades old magazines

What we're also aware, and wary of, is that some Members -- and I'm not looking at you -- are passionate about their favorites. We had an interesting case some months ago in CP when a former Admin no less, got in a terrible mood over two pornstars who had the same aka's, ie, several of them, including the main name. It turned out his favorite was not the first to use his preferred name for her, so she was given a different front-name with his preferred name as an aka. He wasn't rude to us, but he's in America and I live next to Russia, and I could hear the hissing & spitting from here

At any rate, that is why name changes in established threads sometimes need compelling reasons. And please remember, we have no skin in the game, so there's no bias
palo5 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to palo5 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2017, 11:41 AM   #886
effCup
Vintage Idiot
 
effCup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Dildo Baggins' backyard
Posts: 12,474
Thanks: 140,676
Thanked 138,629 Times in 12,242 Posts
effCup 500000+effCup 500000+effCup 500000+effCup 500000+effCup 500000+effCup 500000+effCup 500000+effCup 500000+effCup 500000+effCup 500000+effCup 500000+
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by palo5 View Post
It can certainly be argued that a certain name is "perhaps better-known" as you put it, because that name appears in one or two individual issues more. But that does not necessarily mean that it's better-known, because it does not take distribution numbers into account, or the fact that only enthusiasts would have remembered it anyway -- people are much more likely to learn names from this site than they ever were from decades old magazines
Yet the names used on this site are usually taken from those very same decades-old magazines. So I'm not sure where that leaves your argument?

As to circulations, if you're interested I can give you fairly precise figures for Mayfair from that time. They're taken from ABC, the Audit Bureau of Circulations, which (many) mags. belong(ed) to in order to help them calculate/justify their prices to would-be advertisers. There are branches of ABC in most/many countries of the world.

1977-04 (one month after the publication of the Josephine Moore pictorial): UK circs. for Mayfair mag. were 423,813.
1977-10 (two months prior to the Jacqueline Crowther pictorial): 448,146
1978-05 (three months after the Anette Dybdal pictorial): 462,928

So this was a period of (slightly) rising (average) monthly circulations in the UK market, for Mayfair.

Those ABC figures were published within the pages of Mayfair magazine itself, and usually updated on a (roughly) six-monthly basis.

Add to that (last?) the (unknown to me) circulation of the Italian mag. Playmen from 1977-08 where they named her Annette. /shrug/

Also there's perhaps the audience/viewership for Miss Denmark and Miss World to consider?

Many vef members who browse model threads perhaps do not care much if at all what name(s) the models are given, they maybe just want the pics. Perhaps it is only, or mainly, those who spend some time in MIR who do, who (have to) give some thought to the issues concerning best-known-as names, because that is where those issues crop up repeatedly.

If you want not only solve dates but also reasoning(s) for MIR solves/model name decisions, you'll have to spend a fair bit of time in the MIR section observing how the mods there operate & make their decisions.

I have previously noted (elsewhere on vef) that I think it would be very helpful for many mods. to do precisely that: to take part in MIR for awhile (by which I mean over the course of several months, as it takes time for the many different dimensions of stuff to "crop up") in order to really learn about such issues, to gain a better understanding of their implications. Not all at once, of course, but perhaps mods could volunteer/rotate in on a trial basis.

edit: I've since been told the Playmen issue was instead 1977-06.

Last edited by effCup; 05-16-2017 at 02:56 PM.. Reason: country
effCup is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to effCup For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2017, 04:52 AM   #887
palo5
Super Moderator
 
palo5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 10,511
Thanks: 372,845
Thanked 123,021 Times in 10,642 Posts
palo5 500000+palo5 500000+palo5 500000+palo5 500000+palo5 500000+palo5 500000+palo5 500000+palo5 500000+palo5 500000+palo5 500000+palo5 500000+
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by effCup View Post
Yet the names used on this site are usually taken from those very same decades-old magazines. So I'm not sure where that leaves your argument?
What you're leaving out is that VEF Members have known her under the present name for 10 years with no complaint, and that's a good reason not to confuse the issue

All her aka's are given in the thread, and can easily be found. That suffices for this model
palo5 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to palo5 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2017, 03:58 PM   #888
Brecht
no war but class war
 
Brecht's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: les années noires
Posts: 6,788
Thanks: 112,498
Thanked 106,769 Times in 6,683 Posts
Brecht 500000+Brecht 500000+Brecht 500000+Brecht 500000+Brecht 500000+Brecht 500000+Brecht 500000+Brecht 500000+Brecht 500000+Brecht 500000+Brecht 500000+
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by palo5 View Post
What you're leaving out is that VEF Members have known her under the present name for 10 years with no complaint, and that's a good reason not to confuse the issue

All her aka's are given in the thread, and can easily be found. That suffices for this model
And this should conclude the discussion. She can be found under all her aliases with the proper use of the search function.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Ars sine scientia nihil
Brecht is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Brecht For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2017, 05:12 PM   #889
Staffsyeoman
Vintage Member
 
Staffsyeoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 983
Thanks: 13,687
Thanked 8,776 Times in 975 Posts
Staffsyeoman 25000+Staffsyeoman 25000+Staffsyeoman 25000+Staffsyeoman 25000+Staffsyeoman 25000+Staffsyeoman 25000+Staffsyeoman 25000+Staffsyeoman 25000+Staffsyeoman 25000+Staffsyeoman 25000+Staffsyeoman 25000+
Default

I could not help but notice that there are a lot of blank spaces for removed pictures in the Michelle Willings thread, which we are never likely to see restored. The thread is therefore quite messy.

http://vintage-erotica-forum.com/sho...light=willings


Edit: You're right, lawyers & imagevenue strike again. The thread was cleaned in February, so this is a recent takedown

If anyone wishes to re-up, he's very welcome!
Staffsyeoman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Staffsyeoman For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2017, 05:37 AM   #890
beutelwolf
Opprobrious Opsimath
 
beutelwolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Perfidious Albion
Posts: 20,528
Thanks: 49,750
Thanked 431,630 Times in 20,427 Posts
beutelwolf 1000000+beutelwolf 1000000+beutelwolf 1000000+beutelwolf 1000000+beutelwolf 1000000+beutelwolf 1000000+beutelwolf 1000000+beutelwolf 1000000+beutelwolf 1000000+beutelwolf 1000000+beutelwolf 1000000+
Default

Astrid Behrens = Barbara Zimmermann
The article in here mentions that B.Z. is a pseudonym of A.S..
beutelwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to beutelwolf For This Useful Post:
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT. The time now is 02:22 AM.






vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise v2.6.1 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.