Register on the forum now to remove ALL ads + popups + get access to tons of hidden content for members only!
vintage erotica forum vintage erotica forum vintage erotica forum
vintage erotica forum

Go Back   Vintage Erotica Forums > Information & Help Forum > Help Section > Scanning Feedback

Follow Vintage Erotica Forum on Twitter
Best Porn Sites Meet Our Girls Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2012, 10:49 PM   #11
effCup
Vintage Idiot
 
effCup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Dildo Baggins' backyard
Posts: 12,514
Thanks: 141,152
Thanked 139,055 Times in 12,283 Posts
effCup 500000+effCup 500000+effCup 500000+effCup 500000+effCup 500000+effCup 500000+effCup 500000+effCup 500000+effCup 500000+effCup 500000+effCup 500000+
Default Editing advice?

Here are some scans [edit: link removed] to illustrate some issues I'm currently facing.

a) black or white areas on reverse side showing through. NB, I scanned using an opaque brown piece of paper as "backing", plus 2 books. Still it shows through.

b) 2-page joins. What editing tools are good to use? I can "mend" some spots using spot healing or clone tools, but others are too difficult, or fiddly near the edges of colour areas, etc., i.e. I get unwanted effects.

c) levels, contrast, colour corrections. 05a shows all three used on "auto" in Photoshop. The scans were made on an Epson CX5900, with descreen & unsharp mask. The "orangey" tone is closer to the original than the post-fix 05a so I'll probably ditch the colour correction, but I think I prefer the levels & contrast effects (not shown in isolation, above).

d) page edges, creases, etc. What can I do to smooth/flatten/remove such? I think it's too much for the mend etc. tools mentioned in b) above?

Any suggestions?

Last edited by effCup; 10-26-2012 at 08:43 AM.. Reason: removed images link
effCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 12:46 AM   #12
haVEFun here
Veteran Member
 
haVEFun here's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 1,208
Thanks: 48,125
Thanked 35,909 Times in 1,194 Posts
haVEFun here 175000+haVEFun here 175000+haVEFun here 175000+haVEFun here 175000+haVEFun here 175000+haVEFun here 175000+haVEFun here 175000+haVEFun here 175000+haVEFun here 175000+haVEFun here 175000+haVEFun here 175000+
Default a try to answer and to help You

Quote:
Originally Posted by effCup View Post

a) black or white areas on reverse side showing through. NB, I scanned using an opaque brown piece of paper as "backing", plus 2 books. Still it shows through.

b) 2-page joins. What editing tools are good to use? I can "mend" some spots using spot healing or clone tools, but others are too difficult, or fiddly near the edges of colour areas, etc., i.e. I get unwanted effects.

c) levels, contrast, colour corrections. 05a shows all three used on "auto" in Photoshop. The scans were made on an Epson CX5900, with descreen & unsharp mask. The "orangey" tone is closer to the original than the post-fix 05a so I'll probably ditch the colour correction, but I think I prefer the levels & contrast effects (not shown in isolation, above).

d) page edges, creases, etc. What can I do to smooth/flatten/remove such? I think it's too much for the mend etc. tools mentioned in b) above?

Any suggestions?

Have You already looked in this thread ( I think You did, but anyway )

http://vintage-erotica-forum.com/t19868-request-for-scanning-advice.html


I am facing the same problems

for a) I use a matt black paper with a black cover book on the magazine page and still there is `color bleed through´ or `text bleed through` so the problem is less but not solved, i am still looking for a good solution, see also the post by member deepsepia (substract).

for b) if Your software has a `clone`tool provided you can mark a start spot near the edge of one page that you need to join (with my software it is ctrl and left mouse button) then start to join 2 page edges and by pressing and holding the left mosue button you draw a line over the to join pages, then there is a only a hard to see seam left to see. yes you need to get used to it to have a good result, i had to do it also by trial and error, learning by doing is time consuming but the best way.....

for c) i don´t know, did not use that in my scans posted, just have look at what i did post for the result that i achieved until now

for d) I do use the clone tool for all repair, time consuming but to me that gives the best result and importantly, it does the least affect to the originality

There are more tools available for cleaning. l have to look further into this

More threads about scanning are available in the help and the tutorial section maybe that helps You too.

i could give a try to Your images also, then send me a PM, i may not respond immediately but will do ASAP

Regards,

haVEFun here
__________________
Thanks to all scanners, moderators and posters; keep this forum alive
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Please read and try to follow the VEForum rules

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Avatar: Siân Adey Jones
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
...... R.I.P. Erdnuss
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
haVEFun here is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to haVEFun here For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2012, 01:29 AM   #13
seany65
Vintage Member
 
seany65's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,633
Thanks: 10,992
Thanked 12,335 Times in 1,565 Posts
seany65 50000+seany65 50000+seany65 50000+seany65 50000+seany65 50000+seany65 50000+seany65 50000+seany65 50000+seany65 50000+seany65 50000+seany65 50000+
Default

Alll the scans in this topic are quite good. In fact better than many other scans I've seen on this forum.

I personally don't scan at high dpi (say 1200dpi etc.) as this just means the scan dots are smaller than the colour dots of the picture and so the colour dots are quite big in the result pic.

I use micrografx picture publisher 8 (free with a magazine in about 2000) and a canon Lide 20 or 30 (can't remember which).

I have painted the white backing board thing matt black.

Depending on original image size, I scan at anywhere between 75dpi to 150dpi and have the image made bigger during the scan using the software so a 7x5 pic comes out at say 14x10, with descreen on and save as a bitmap and then when all the scanning batch is finished I process the pic in either ability photopaint (also free) for curves, colour, smart blurring and cropping or pic publisher for cloning, sharpening, defocusing, all the while saving as bitmaps but never saving over the file I've just opened (eg. opening 'Nikki Sanderson 1' by right-clicking and 'opening with' eg. photopaint, leaves the original pic where it was in my photos folder and opens a copy of it in the software, and saving as 'Nikki Sanderson 1B'. I look a the difference between version 1 and 1B by flicking between them in windows 'slideshow'. If I like the changes I then close photopaint and open 1B in Pic publisher, do what I want and save as 1C, and repeat the process of checking but this time between 1B and 1C.

I use the 'stitch' tool in ic pub. 8. I Just open the two pics to be joined in pp8, making sure that the windows they are in are the same size and that the pics are the same size, stitch them and then I use a small cloning tool to make the edge disappear.

and then when all processing is done I shrink the pic down in pic publisher 8 usually to about monitor screen size (as I don't usually print them) and save as a bitmap.
__________________
<-- That's Emma Murphy and I want to be stuck in her front bottom.
seany65 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to seany65 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2012, 02:52 AM   #14
effCup
Vintage Idiot
 
effCup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Dildo Baggins' backyard
Posts: 12,514
Thanks: 141,152
Thanked 139,055 Times in 12,283 Posts
effCup 500000+effCup 500000+effCup 500000+effCup 500000+effCup 500000+effCup 500000+effCup 500000+effCup 500000+effCup 500000+effCup 500000+effCup 500000+
Default joining, not stitching?

Quote:
Originally Posted by seany65 View Post
I use the 'stitch' tool in ic pub. 8. I Just open the two pics to be joined in pp8, making sure that the windows they are in are the same size and that the pics are the same size, stitch them and then I use a small cloning tool to make the edge disappear.
Sorry if I didn't make myself clear earlier: my problem with 2-page scans is not those such as a cf where one can scan an "overlap", and then use, say, Photoshop's automate -> photomerge to stitch the two halves together, prior to further "tidy-up" with clone tool, etc.

My problem is where the picture is in two halves from different/separate pages, with no overlap or perhaps even a small "gap" missing. To me that's not a "stitch" problem/solution--e.g. when I google stitching in photoshop, the suggestions relate to scanned overlaps, so I think that's the generally understood meaning of stitching scans.

Hope I haven't further misunderstood/confused things, & thanks for all the suggestions.
effCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 03:05 AM   #15
effCup
Vintage Idiot
 
effCup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Dildo Baggins' backyard
Posts: 12,514
Thanks: 141,152
Thanked 139,055 Times in 12,283 Posts
effCup 500000+effCup 500000+effCup 500000+effCup 500000+effCup 500000+effCup 500000+effCup 500000+effCup 500000+effCup 500000+effCup 500000+effCup 500000+
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by haVEFun here View Post
I am facing the same problems

for a) I use a matt black paper with a black cover book on the magazine page and still there is `color bleed through´ or `text bleed through` so the problem is less but not solved, i am still looking for a good solution, see also the post by member deepsepia (substract).
I read it, but kinda dreaded having to try it. Have you had any success with that clever (or "clever"?) idea?

Quote:
for b) if Your software has a `clone`tool provided you can mark a start spot near the edge of one page that you need to join (with my software it is ctrl and left mouse button) then start to join 2 page edges and by pressing and holding the left mosue button you draw a line over the to join pages, then there is a only a hard to see seam left to see.
OK, so you're "filling" the "gap" with a clone of the pixel column(s)/row(s) immediately adjacent to it. I've used such cloning to "fill" the edges of a scan where it's a bit uneven, but had been reluctant to try such "tricks" in the middle of an image, where I'd have thought it would be more apparent/obvious.

Quote:
for d) I do use the clone tool for all repair, time consuming but to me that gives the best result and importantly, it does the least affect to the originality
OK, I was dreading that. As a graphics app. newbie I find it's terribly slow/tedious work.

Quote:
i could give a try to Your images also, then send me a PM, i may not respond immediately but will do ASAP
That's an extraordinarily kind offer, but I must rudely refuse as it's not a long-term solution--I need to learn how to solve this problem myself, as there's lots more scans...
effCup is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to effCup For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2014, 06:04 PM   #16
tuffy
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 543
Thanks: 192
Thanked 10,105 Times in 416 Posts
tuffy 50000+tuffy 50000+tuffy 50000+tuffy 50000+tuffy 50000+tuffy 50000+tuffy 50000+tuffy 50000+tuffy 50000+tuffy 50000+tuffy 50000+
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffy View Post
You asked for:

1: which pic do you like best?

nw35_40

2: why?

it looks sharper than the other one

3: does it make a lot of a difference to you? (one is a lot more work than the other)

both have a green color cast, so it's no difference


I have this magazine, so I did some scans (200 dpi) to compare to:



Look at her eyes and compare their color.



Look at the clothes and the furniture, you can clearly see the green color cast, and that your pics are a liitle bit unsharp.


Tuffy
It was 5 years ago when we talked about these pictures.

I edited my old picture with my latest knowledge.

Please tell me what do you think. Is it better?



Tuffy
tuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tuffy For This Useful Post:
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT. The time now is 10:11 PM.






vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise v2.6.1 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.