View Single Post
Old July 15th, 2010, 11:12 AM   #25
grossnex
Veteran Member

Thanked 91,929 Times in 2,857 Posts
grossnex 350000+grossnex 350000+grossnex 350000+grossnex 350000+grossnex 350000+grossnex 350000+grossnex 350000+grossnex 350000+grossnex 350000+grossnex 350000+grossnex 350000+

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerty007 View Post
WOW - how was Torii going to make ends meet?

Hmmmmmmm - it was tough to figure out (The 612)

I appreciate your candour.

Ironically (although they haven't released the terms of the deal) Lebron is taking less to play with Wade and Bosh, which I applaud - I cannot get past the way he got there.

The general sentiment I have is that winning takes a back seat to earning max dollars. That, IMO, is wrong.

Secondly, I cannot understand why fans would be happy for a guy (or even encourage them) to 'get paid', as they call it (or 'get yours'). Me working for $25 an hour in a union, has absolutely nothing in common with Lebron making $15 million...apples and oranges.

There is a general sense of entitlement that raises my hackles, about the players today.

Albert Haynesworth ring a bell? All the holdouts who want to renegotiate 2 years into a 5 year contract? I guess the answer would be "Well - he outperformed his contract" and I would ask - so guys like Jamarcus who underperform, they'll be returning some money?

How much is enough? $5 million? $10 million? $1 million?

I'm just rambling, but at the end of the day - players have lost sight of whatever game they play...it's all about the dollars
I see your sense of entitlement Qwerty & raise you ticket prices. Yankees fans for example all end up agreeing that we want the best players, but very few every argue about salaries. I used to go to a few games at the old Yankee Stadium every year (usually interleague games with the Mets & divisional games with Boston).

I remember when the Yankees dotted the "i's" & crossed the "t's" with Alex Rodriguez like it was yesterday. I turned to my buddy who went with me usually & said, "well, it WAS fun being able to go to the stadium." Ticket prices across all seats went up a minimum of $10. That was after a day at Yankee Stadium cost roughly $100 per person with parking, food, the ticket, a beer or 2 & some sort of souvenir.

I usually let the rest of the country argue about players salaries & the impact on the fans. Being right next to New York (& a Yankees fan to boot) I feel disingenuous when my team supports the entire league through revenue sharing & luxury taxes. We seem to have unlimited financial resources.

I've been to exactly 1 game since the A-Rod signing & that was last year, because my sister took me there as a birthday present. The team's payroll exceeds $200 million & every cent of that cost gets passed on down to the fan.

Last edited by grossnex; July 15th, 2010 at 01:58 PM..
grossnex is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to grossnex For This Useful Post: