View Single Post
Old December 19th, 2009, 04:51 AM   #74
spoonfedmonkey

Thanked 1,948 Times in 178 Posts
spoonfedmonkey 10000+spoonfedmonkey 10000+spoonfedmonkey 10000+spoonfedmonkey 10000+spoonfedmonkey 10000+spoonfedmonkey 10000+spoonfedmonkey 10000+spoonfedmonkey 10000+spoonfedmonkey 10000+spoonfedmonkey 10000+spoonfedmonkey 10000+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bovon View Post
Spooonfed - Sorry, no offence was intended. It's what's used in the UK.
No offense taken. As I said, I've lived in Germany for 15 years, so I'm familiar with a lot of British expressions since British English is officially taught in schools and I earn a lot of side money giving help to school kids having trouble with English. (School kids = "pupils". Right? Americans call everyone at every level of schooling a "student".)

The American "you're fired!" is also brutal, I suppose; but it leaves a lot to question. Perhaps you did something wrong, perhaps you didn't fit in, perhaps your performance was poor...whatever. Being "made redundant", on the other hand, sounds like "we don't need you anymore because we have this little tiny mechanism which can do the job just as well as you...you are now unnecessary, superfluous, worthless, a widget to us. Please go away now. Have a nice day."

But these are simple cross-cultural differences. You know, the old "separated by a common language" bit.

This is a really cool forum. Look at some erotic material, then have a good bar conversation. Cheers!
spoonfedmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to spoonfedmonkey For This Useful Post: