View Single Post
Old November 15th, 2009, 04:52 PM   #21
fannatastic
Veteran Member

Thanked 12,841 Times in 1,161 Posts
fannatastic 50000+fannatastic 50000+fannatastic 50000+fannatastic 50000+fannatastic 50000+fannatastic 50000+fannatastic 50000+fannatastic 50000+fannatastic 50000+fannatastic 50000+fannatastic 50000+
Default Re: country codes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob4 View Post
i'm not too keen on the 2 letter country codes. many of them are not easily recognisable at first glance and people would have to refer to the master list all the time. i think the sporting event 3 letter codes are much easier on the eye.
its probably not that much of a problem for these lists as most of the nationalities in cc are well known e.g. HU (HUN), DE (GER), etc. but i can see this format being adopted by future id projects, which may become confusing when you have something like HR for Croatia and UA for Ukraine.
I accept the point about Croatia and Ukraine and I've deleted the two-letter codes from my post.

The IOC and other three-letter codes aren't perfect, IMO. If GER then why not HOL? NED and ESP but not DEU doesn't seem very fair on die Deutschen. Also why ROU when ROM would be better for everyone?

I'm not too bothered whether it's two or three letters, but we need to decide on a code and stick to it. Here are some links:

Wiki Country Codes
from which
ISO two-letter codes
ISO three letter codes
International Olympic Committee codes
FIFA codes

I think EU or EUR for European (but exact country unknown) would be useful.
fannatastic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to fannatastic For This Useful Post: