View Single Post
Old April 26th, 2012, 03:29 PM   #8
effCup
Vintage Idiot

Thanked 356,690 Times in 21,624 Posts
effCup 1000000+effCup 1000000+effCup 1000000+effCup 1000000+effCup 1000000+effCup 1000000+effCup 1000000+effCup 1000000+effCup 1000000+effCup 1000000+effCup 1000000+

Quote:
Originally Posted by hos View Post
instead, you can use:

"+" to assign that a keyword must be part in each result set

example "+alexandra +nice" returns results having both words in.

"-" to assign that the keyword is not part of the result

example "alexandra -nice" returns all results for alexandra without those having "nice" included.
You're right "+Jennifer +Brown" (no quotes) returns 68 matches--it's now finding the added matches I've made in this thread--so it's acting the same as a search for "Jennifer Brown" (no quotes).

"Jennifer -Brown" (no quotes) finds 500 matches, so clearly I was wrong earlier about the 68 not all containing both "Jennifer" and "Brown". My bad.

The post here suggests AND and OR are usable boolean operators for vBulletin 3.0. "Jennifer AND Brown" is the same as "Jennifer Brown", while "Jennifer OR Brown" returned 500 matches. But then so too did "Jennifer NOT Brown" which seems unlikely... unless it's just that vBulletin truncates more than 500 matches to that limit?

The post here suggests that double-quoted strings match exact phrases/full strings, but testing "Jennifer Brown" (*with* quotes) also gave 68, i.e. it's behaving the same as "Jennifer Brown" *without* quotes, and is definitely claiming matches that do *not* contain that exact phrase/full string, so I think it is wrong... or else Firefox's in-page text search is lying to me.

Both posts might be right for versions of vBulletin other than 3.8.7, I dunno.

You're also right, I'm using a wide-open global search for this test. It's much better to narrow it down if you can/think you know where something's been put/posted, but I didn't know where Jennifer Brown might be--she's in a thread about what people are listening to?

Also, as Lemo suggested earlier, there's also spelling differences, etc., e.g. poss. Jen|Jenny|Jennie|Jeannie|Jennifer Brown|Browne, etc?

Got the Gen?

Last edited by effCup; April 26th, 2012 at 03:47 PM..
effCup is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 23 Users Say Thank You to effCup For This Useful Post: