View Single Post
Old April 9th, 2018, 12:32 PM   #34129
rupertramjet
R.I.P.

Thanked 54,117 Times in 4,288 Posts
rupertramjet 250000+rupertramjet 250000+rupertramjet 250000+rupertramjet 250000+rupertramjet 250000+rupertramjet 250000+rupertramjet 250000+rupertramjet 250000+rupertramjet 250000+rupertramjet 250000+rupertramjet 250000+

Quote:
Originally Posted by haroldeye View Post
The Devon and Dorsets, had one of the smallest Regimental strengths, but proportionally produced more star ranks, Brigadier and above, than any other Regiment, it still got cut!

Remind me again, which small Northern Regiment has had 2CDS(would have been 3 if one adn't of been blocked by the politicians) and 2CGS in the last 20 years. Same one that in the early 90's was a full coy overstrength when the Southern Bn's were badly lacking recruits.
Err that might have been the Green Howard's.

The Regiment, as you say was always up to strength, my own Regiment at several points actually had full Companies of Gurkhas to maintain Battalion strength during this time.

To me the Green Howards are representative of the obscene waste of the histories and traditions, The Green Howards was formed in 1688, their colours were laid up in 2006, in the mean time they had served with distinction, in many wars, and under different guises, including The Princess of Wales Own (Yorkshire Regiment), it was the beginning of the end of many fine Regiments, it was to continue until the present day, and though there are few Regiments left to destroy, a lot of the responsibility must fall on General Sir Michael Jackson, my former mentor, a link which was not helpful to my career for a while, he believed that all infantrymen should be interchangeable, in the way, we as Paratroopers are, I see his point, but disagree, the traditions are what give Regiment the Espirit de Corps, which turns them into what they are, ours is the 'Maroon Machine'. The attitude that we are an elite, we have fought hard for the right to wear the wings and beret of the Parachute Regiment, theirs was the hundreds of years of tradition, and the example of those who had worn the badge before.

The replacement for many of these historic Regiments is the Rifles, five regular and three reserve Battalions, founded and active since 1st February 2007, they have adopted the Battle Honours of many of the Regiments amalgamated to make them exist, but to me as a soldier, albiet one who was in a Regiment with only a short history, 1940, the loss of that is a disgrace.
rupertramjet is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to rupertramjet For This Useful Post: