View Single Post
Old May 24th, 2018, 07:44 PM   #36
Duece
Vintage Member

Thanked 28,023 Times in 1,359 Posts
Duece 100000+Duece 100000+Duece 100000+Duece 100000+Duece 100000+Duece 100000+Duece 100000+Duece 100000+Duece 100000+Duece 100000+Duece 100000+

Quote:
Originally Posted by monicled eye View Post
My missed Miss picks:

2012- Anna Sophia Berglund
2013-Alana Campos or Pamela Horton (still can’t decide)
2014- Alyssa Arce
2015- Jessica Ashley, or Emily Agnes. If I had to choose then it’d be miss Ashley.
2016- I didnt vote because of the whole non-nude thing but was REALLY hoping for Kayla Rae Reid or Ana Cheri. Miss Washington just didnt seemed more like a nod/publicity pick for the “Black Lives Matter” movement ( as bubba420 mentions above me). That just left a whole bitter taste...
I disagree about Eugena Washington being a nod or publicity pick for the Black Lives Matter movement. From my point of view, Eugena Washington was certainly a publicity pick but not for BLM, Eugena was selected because she is a dark skinned, African American woman and this would have been a good way for Playboy to promote themselves as they were going into their new, non-nude era. I saw this as them attempting to move away from the classic Playboy image of the busty, blonde girl next door as they moved into this, short lived, new era.

Black Playmates are certainly not as rare as they used to be, there have been 11 selected so far this decade alone but many of them are mixed race and/or lighter skinned and racially ambiguous, Eugena being darker skinned, less racially ambiguous, as well as a notable fashion model made her a perfect choice for Playboy for to use to promote their new era.

I think if Playboy would have promoted Eugena as the Black Lives Matter Playmate, either openly or indirectly, they would have drawn the ire of many groups. Playboy's Black audience is too small for those issues to matter and they would have certainly pissed off and alienated their traditional fanbase, as well as probably draw sharp criticism from Black Twitter.

Last edited by Duece; May 25th, 2018 at 12:01 PM..
Duece is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Duece For This Useful Post: