View Single Post
Old July 10th, 2017, 11:50 PM   #1
sammler
hoarder of smut

Thanked 21,968 Times in 468 Posts
sammler 100000+sammler 100000+sammler 100000+sammler 100000+sammler 100000+sammler 100000+sammler 100000+sammler 100000+sammler 100000+sammler 100000+sammler 100000+
Default Backside bleed through

I know this has been touched on before and mentioned quite a bit here in the help section. Some of you may have noticed me dabbling in scanning in my small stash of German "Sexy" magazines. One huge problem I've encountered is page bleed through: The pages in this mag are so paper thin (pun intended) that bleed through from the next page is practically guaranteed. It is so bad that the usual remedy with a black backing only slightly helps.

To illustrate the problem, here is the same title page scanned normally and with a black plastic sheet behind it:

Even though the black backing is making it a little bit better, I still consider Kristara's portrait ruined: you can see the outlines of a black frame on her left cheek, an almost solid bar gives her a Magnum PI mustache and a vertical bar through her right breast.

I spent a bit of time in photoshop and managed to get this scan to acceptable quality:

And here is how I did it: I took the scan of the next page, flipped it horizontally so that it became a mirror image. Then I inverted the colors of the b/w page making it black on white. I also faded the contrast quite a bit to make it easier to blend. Then I added this image as a new layer under my imperfect scan. The difficult part was to make this helper image line up with the bleed through from my original scan. Once that was accomplished I started playing with the transparency of my original scan letting a little of the inverted helper image bleed through. I ended up with a 95% opaqueness setting in the final version. I feel I've almost eliminated the bleed through.

Now for the question: Has anybody else on here tried something like this before? I feel with all the scanning going on and with the improved stitching software that is around these days, there must be an easier way to arrive at the same or better results. Especially the lining up part and finding the right blending mix are prime candidates for an automated process.
sammler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to sammler For This Useful Post: