View Single Post
Old November 5th, 2010, 08:09 PM   #7
scoundrel
Super Moderator

Thanked 278,476 Times in 26,183 Posts
scoundrel 1000000+scoundrel 1000000+scoundrel 1000000+scoundrel 1000000+scoundrel 1000000+scoundrel 1000000+scoundrel 1000000+scoundrel 1000000+scoundrel 1000000+scoundrel 1000000+scoundrel 1000000+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokerman View Post
I remember being at Edgbaston In 2005 when he was batting in the second innings & nearly won them the match.
I can honestly say that it was the greatest test match that I've ever seen, as well as the greatest ever test series.
I will not forget that match in a hurry. Warne set the tone, but the cast iron resolve of Brett Lee and Michael Kasprowicz was very memorable. I could not watch it, so I switched channels, only to find I couldn't not watch it, so I switched back again, switched away again etc etc. It didn't help that I had a broken rib at the time either, the mere tension was hurting me...

There are better sides than England and Australia in cricket right this minute but there isn't a cricket series with more emotional capital invested than this one. Four years ago, Australia wiped the slate 5-0. When we were 3-0 down, I got drunk with friends from work, having just shut up shop for Christmas, and when the last 2 of us were still absorbing alcohol via intravenous drip and in the maudlin stage, we discussed, in very pessimistic terms, the chances of averting the full series wipeout.

I knew it would happen, but I didn't think it would happen right then; but the bloke and girlfriend on the next table turned out to be Aussies. They couldn't resist, and joined our conversation, not at all in an unfriendly spirit, commenting in particular on the technical faults which had emerged in Steve Harmison's bowling action (they had actually been present at Brisbane a month earlier and had seen). I had to say, and this was not the drink talking, that much as I respect Australia, I would die to rob them of the 5-0 triumph. The bloke simply nodded and replied that this is what he would expect of any self-respecting Pomme, and it's the whole reason why Australians want to win the Ashes; they take them over the dead bodies of any England team which deserves to call itself England. The same goes for Australia; Ricky Ponting won a superb victory as the 2006-7 captain, but he has tasted defeat twice and I don't doubt for a second that he will lead a most bitter and implacable assault on England to get that little urn back.

This should be fine sport, win or lose.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
scoundrel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to scoundrel For This Useful Post: