View Single Post
Old May 1st, 2017, 03:49 PM   #10981
Devius
Veteran Member

Thanked 228,796 Times in 23,616 Posts
Devius 1000000+Devius 1000000+Devius 1000000+Devius 1000000+Devius 1000000+Devius 1000000+Devius 1000000+Devius 1000000+Devius 1000000+Devius 1000000+Devius 1000000+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devius View Post
Meanwhile the UK's international trade secretary Liam Fox visited the Philippines on Monday, and said in an article published in local media that he wanted Britain to build a stronger relationship with the Philippines based on “a foundation of shared values and shared interests”. Philippine companies have invested over £1bn into the UK since 2014, according to Fox.
Apparently Fox had raised concerns about human rights during the visit, which included a meeting with the country's controversial president, Rodrigo Duterte.

FYI: Last month, Duterte warned the EU not to “fuck with us” after the European parliament passed a resolution expressing “grave concern over credible reports” that Philippine police were engaged in extrajudicial killings, a claim officers strongly deny. The EU resolution also referenced Duterte’s open threats to kill human rights campaigners.

Being a realist (and a cynic), I know that post Brexit Britain will pay lip-service to Human rights these days.
But Liam Fox claiming 'shared values' with Duterte? Pass the sick-bucket...

Cash Rules Everything Around Me, C.R.E.A.M.
Get the money, dollar dollar bill, y'all.

Wu-Tang Clan – C.R.E.A.M
Another chance to 'share values' with Duterte, I guess..

Trump invites Philippines' Duterte to the White House

Philippines President Rodrigo Duterte has been invited the visit the White House following a "very friendly" telephone call with Donald Trump.

The two leaders discussed Mr Duterte's controversial war on drugs, which has left more than 7,000 people dead in under 12 months.

The North Korea crisis was also raised.

According to the White House, Mr Trump "enjoyed the conversation", and has extended an invitation - although a date has not yet been set.

The visit will be a chance "to discuss the importance of the United States-Philippines alliance, which is now heading in a very positive direction," a statement from the White House said.

A meeting between Mr Duterte and Barack Obama was called off last year after he called the US president a "son of a whore".

Details:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-39762742
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Devius For This Useful Post: