Thread: Frank Zappa
View Single Post
Old April 11th, 2017, 01:21 AM   #24
Dvder

Dvder 2500+Dvder 2500+Dvder 2500+Dvder 2500+Dvder 2500+Dvder 2500+Dvder 2500+Dvder 2500+Dvder 2500+Dvder 2500+Dvder 2500+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decadence View Post
I recall "Black Napkins" was a great instrumental track on 1976's "Zoot Allures" (along with "The Torture Never Stops ).. I never knew Steve Vai was a part of that line-up. Please expand on what you mean by "Black Napkins period".
My introduction to the track was via a Youtube live clip from 1981 when Steve was in the band. Never having heard it before, and it being quite a guitar-centric tune, I assumed it was written for that particular band. While not the clip I have on a disc somewhere, this show must be roughly contemporary with it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzZohsi0nXc

Not being familiar with ZA, I'll check it out after your pointer to it. I'll add that in somewhat the same vein as an only slightliy earlier era's John Mayall, Frank knew how to pick his collaborators.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decadence View Post
It could be a fine line.. the things he wrote about ( e.g. L. Ron Hoover, the Church of Appliantology from Joe's Garage Act I) and their implications does give one pause...
True, but then it should also be remembered that the Zappa family never upped sticks and moved to Montana either.
Dvder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Dvder For This Useful Post: