Thread: Windows 10?
View Single Post
Old July 27th, 2015, 11:51 PM   #134
Rick Danger
Vintage Member

Thanked 30,933 Times in 1,714 Posts
Rick Danger 100000+Rick Danger 100000+Rick Danger 100000+Rick Danger 100000+Rick Danger 100000+Rick Danger 100000+Rick Danger 100000+Rick Danger 100000+Rick Danger 100000+Rick Danger 100000+Rick Danger 100000+
Default The Windows Media Player question, revisited.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Danger
So, is it possible that Windows Media Player is part of the base Windows 10 product ? [06-19-2015, 08:29 PM]
As I mentioned back on June 19th, I have years of music and playlists that I have cataloged using Windows Media Player. With all the back and forth about Wednesday's impending rollout of Windows 10, I had lost track of this question.

Researching this question further, I came across mention of a free app called "Groove Music". I queried Microsoft.com and came up with this on their Answers Wikipage, authored by Andre Da Costa, MVP:

Quote:
GROOVE, PHOTOS, MOVIES & TV, Groove music app and Movies & TV apps feature significant improvements that I can safely say, it’s time to retire Windows Media Player (which is still bundled with Windows 10) and forget about using third party apps like VLC. The great thing about Groove in particular it actually looks and works like a modern juke box. Of course, its touch optimized, but it feels right at home on the desktop. Groove is of course part of Microsoft’s Cloud mantra and the app integrates with Microsoft’s Cloud Storage OneDrive, you can sign in and access your synced music library from OneDrive itself.
Blah, blah, blah. More propaganda. In rebuttal, our friend Woody Leonhard offers this review in his "Where Windows 10 stands right now" article on InfoWorld.com:

Quote:
Groove Music and Movies & TV are working, but they don't do much besides play your music and videos, and steer you to where you can spend money. Playlist support in Groove Music is barely up to Neanderthal standards. Any connection between the TV app and what you would want from a TV app is purely coincidental.
Hummm "....significant improvements" and "....time to retire Windows Media Player" versus "Playlist support.....barely up to Neanderthal standards". Somebody is smoking the BIG PIPE......... wanna guess who ?

I am happy to see that indeed Media Player is available in Windows 10. My question is for how long ?

Microsoft of course has been pumping up Edge, it's new browser. Again, referencing Mr. Leonhard's article:

Quote:
Edge is turning out to be a lean, fast contender in the newly revitalized browser wars. Edge doesn't replace Internet Explorer -- to date, IE still lurks, but it's buried in the Start > All Apps > Windows Accessories menu's list. Edge is, however, the default Web browser. IE continues to use the old Trident rendering engine, while Spartan has the newer Edge.
If Edge is so great, why continue with Internet Exploder - err, Explorer ?

Boy, this crap continues to be confusing........ any wonder why I don't want to play in this sandbox ?

Maybe Woody Leonhard would consider running for President ???
Rick Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Rick Danger For This Useful Post: