Thread: Windows 10?
View Single Post
Old November 5th, 2015, 07:39 AM   #529
Rick Danger
Vintage Member

Thanked 31,400 Times in 1,714 Posts
Rick Danger 100000+Rick Danger 100000+Rick Danger 100000+Rick Danger 100000+Rick Danger 100000+Rick Danger 100000+Rick Danger 100000+Rick Danger 100000+Rick Danger 100000+Rick Danger 100000+Rick Danger 100000+

As usual we are simpatico. It's almost like I can start a sentence and you finish it.

Consider this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by A435843
Second, they're trying to increasingly pass off testing to home and enterprise (surprisingly) users, via the forced-updates scheme.
Your statement PERFECTLY fits the facts at hand. First, we've seen an obvious lack of quality control in recent Windows Updates; e.g., a Surface 3 update that crashed these devices; patches that don't seem to work, only to be reapplied, and the "accidental" release of the Windows 10 pre-install. Secondly, the increased telemetry being pushed down via Optional updates for which there was no published information. In other words "We cannot adequately test updates and releases in house [probably due to staff cuts], so we will release these updates to our customers and gather information via our enhanced telemetry".

I have labored in this thread to clearly present the facts and to separate such facts from my opinions. For me a computer is a tool, not a religion. Redmond's track record with recent OS releases (Vista, Window 8, and now Windows 10) has been less than stellar, to put it mildly. As I said, based on recent and well reported events if you trust Microsoft to "do the right thing", you are playing into their hands. And if you don't take measures to prevent an unwanted Windows 10 update from being installed on your system(s), you really have no one to blame but yourself!

Aside from the diminished confidence and trust in Microsoft, all this "Who Struck John" concerning Windows 10 distracts us from far more serious issues concerning security and privacy that have much more dire consequences for computer users at all levels. I am no security expert, nor am I in law enforcement. But it doesn't take an FBI agent to figure out that walking down a dark alley in a major city anywhere in the world at 3AM in the morning is probably NOT an activity conducive to one's health and well being. Likewise, a quick read of just the topic list on the ZDnet Zero Day blog would convince any bald face novice that there are some very real and nasty threats out there.
Rick Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Rick Danger For This Useful Post: