View Single Post
Old May 20th, 2017, 11:53 AM   #3873
Decadence
the thrill of it all

Thanked 213,350 Times in 11,245 Posts
Decadence 1000000+Decadence 1000000+Decadence 1000000+Decadence 1000000+Decadence 1000000+Decadence 1000000+Decadence 1000000+Decadence 1000000+Decadence 1000000+Decadence 1000000+Decadence 1000000+

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsquirrel View Post

What do Americans think of spaghetti westerns? It must have caused a bit of consternation back in the 60s when a load of Italians working in Spain started messing with such a typically American piece of popular culture.
Actually, my recollections of the spaghetti westerns are good and they tended to do well in America. The westerns of the 40s & 50s (John Wayne, Glenn Ford, Gary Cooper) while good were, basically, similar with the good guys wearing the white hats.

Then comes the likes of Sergio Leone.. giving us the man with no name. More gritty, realistic, edgy.. and full of surprises. Flawed heroes. High Plains Drifter is a later example... the "good guys" weren't that good.. the bad guys had been unjustly railroaded... the victims weren't all that innocent. Certainly mixed up the standard formula, much to the delight of audiences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puhbear69 View Post
So you think it is usual ????
Nothing surprises me any more. Police here have, on numerous instances, stood back and watched rioting/looting/fighting/assaults/property damage go unchecked. I point you to any of the 'black lives matter' riots of the past few years (especially Baltimore) as well as the anarchy that was present outside certain political rallies here before the last election... some of which was actually encouraged by local government leaders.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Decadence is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Decadence For This Useful Post: