View Single Post
Old May 20th, 2017, 12:22 PM   #550
ManofKent
Vintage Member

Thanked 13,836 Times in 1,113 Posts
ManofKent 50000+ManofKent 50000+ManofKent 50000+ManofKent 50000+ManofKent 50000+ManofKent 50000+ManofKent 50000+ManofKent 50000+ManofKent 50000+ManofKent 50000+ManofKent 50000+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devius View Post

McDonald's has decided to withdraw its latest TV advert, which was criticised for exploiting childhood bereavement.

The fast food giant had already apologised for "upset" caused by the advert, first aired on 12 May.

It features a boy who struggles to find something in common with his dead father until he goes to McDonald's.

A spokeswoman for McDonald's said the British advert will be removed from all media this week and it will review its creative process to avoid a repeat.

"It was never our intention to cause any upset," read the statement.

"We are particularly sorry that the advert may have disappointed those people who are most important to us - our customers.

"Due to the lead-times required by some broadcasters, the last advert will air on Wednesday 17 May.

"We will also review our creative process to ensure this situation never occurs again."

Details:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-39941536
I've seen this has well, and I actually thing that has a concept and a narrative it's actually quite endearing.

For me, I think the problem is that it's a GOOD advert but it's advertising the WRONG product.
If this had been used to advertise a charity (like the Red Cross or something) it could have worked quite well, rather then just fast food.

When I looked at the response online, one person put it accurately by saying "That poor young boy is grieving for the loss of his father. What do you do? Buy him a CHEESEBURGER, that will make everything better!"
ManofKent is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to ManofKent For This Useful Post: