View Single Post
Old October 19th, 2013, 05:04 PM   #19
Eteocles

Eteocles 100+Eteocles 100+
Default more karenariana

When she was contacted along with all the other former playmates in preparation for the Playmate Book in 1996 she was only quoted as responding that "that was then, this is now." OK, can't read too much into that, it had been fifteen years after all since she had been in Playboy, but cumulatively one does get the impression that her experience with the magazine was not satisfying. Others have commented on the fact that it was her father that pushed her to pose; besides suggesting a certain reluctance on Karen's part, it seems to me that most father's instincts would be to steer their little girls away from Playboy and keep nude photos of them out of the hands of the other members of their bowling league. But let that pass. If he got her in there, we owe him a debt of gratitude. It's Hef, I think, that soured her on the experience. She was in the January issue, which is no guarantee of being PM of the year of course, but I was in college when the issue came out and even the girls in the dorm had to check this creature out. Tastes differ, you can quote me, but I bet most polls would place her among the top five PM's ever. Add to which, both she and her fans were virtually assured she had PMOY wrapped up by written copy accompanying her photo in the end of the year review—something like she was looking forward to being the first girl from her hometown to be so honored. But, although I'm sure he took a shot, Hef, as it happened, wasn't sharing his bed with Karen but with a cheap chorus girl we know as Shannon Tweed, later to marry that ghastly clown what's his name from Kiss whose talent seems limited to impersonating a snake. This was around the time Tweed started with the collagen treatments, acquired tits that could only have been paid for with a coupon, and began appearing in White Cargo and other movie garbage. Well, PMOY honors didn't always go to Hef's current piece—only when she insisted on it, which she did. Karen was not only robbed, but humiliated by having words put in her mouth in an early 1982 issue to the effect that she no longer expected to win, because "the competition is too strong this year." Well, 1981 was a relatively good year, but even Patricia Farinelli—imho—would have been a disappointing consolation prize, Karen was clearly the class of the field. OK, it's speculation, but a lot of readers were hacked off, it's only reasonable to suspect Karen was a little miffed too. Others here have commented on her dislike of the promotional work she was obliged to do for the magazine in the ensuing months; apparently she had no taste for Mansion life, either, somehow I can't see her being chatted up by the likes of James Caan or kicking it naked in the grotto.
I'm not breast obsessed, they're sublime, OK, but her favorite feature for me is her enchanting, somewhat off-kilter smile. And how carefully she's coiffed at Glamourcon (or one of those other autograph affairs)—compared, say, with Lynda Wiesmeier's messy mop. (Sorry, Lynda, it was 70's hair, I know, not your fault.) Too bad we didn't get to see much more of Karen, though—any of her.
Eteocles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 36 Users Say Thank You to Eteocles For This Useful Post: