View Single Post
Old June 28th, 2015, 10:02 AM   #63
effCup
Vintage Idiot

Thanked 356,730 Times in 21,628 Posts
effCup 1000000+effCup 1000000+effCup 1000000+effCup 1000000+effCup 1000000+effCup 1000000+effCup 1000000+effCup 1000000+effCup 1000000+effCup 1000000+effCup 1000000+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immy View Post
I'm also not sure what the vetting process is for new model threads when there's little info regarding a full name. What seems clear, at least with the recent examples I've used as possible solves, is that the section mods appear to have no problem with it.
I would have thought that the purpose of having a separate MIR is to sort out precisely such matters. Any thread from the classic era with just a single first name to me is immediately suspect. Of course there will be some that are well-established because they've been investigated (in MIR or elsewhere) and no better name is available.

Quote:
quantity, source material and the poster's rep.
[...]
his threads have all had a consistant theme of Brit gals from the 80s, leading me to believe his credibility may be more legit, despite the insufficient names.
I deliberately did not name him because for me it's not about his threads or rather him per se. I could have made links to various other threads by other members which I think should not have been started outside MIR as they were.

I am not saying that member has mixed up different models or has created duplicates of models in other threads. I am saying I think it would have been beneficial or better if he had first created a query in MIR to see if there are any other names for those models. To me that's the "sensible" way to do things, particularly when one only has a first name. Hypothetically, member A may have a pictorial of model X that only shows their first name but another member may happen to know of another pictorial, or other scans of the same, that provides a second name.

Quote:
And in the end, is it good enough for MIR? I think it's difficult to put a black or white rule in place when each example has its own variables. Leaving it open for discussion is best
I agree it's not a matter for black and white rules. That's why I above suggested providing/devising some form of guidance for both members and mods. Similar to those posts after the section rules posts that add the advice to search vef for a model before starting a thread for her. That's an example of guidance to improve outcomes, rather than a strict rule.
effCup is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to effCup For This Useful Post: