View Single Post
Old July 25th, 2015, 08:31 PM   #23
beutelwolf
paludicolous paravant

Thanked 745,165 Times in 26,851 Posts
beutelwolf 2500000+beutelwolf 2500000+beutelwolf 2500000+beutelwolf 2500000+beutelwolf 2500000+beutelwolf 2500000+beutelwolf 2500000+beutelwolf 2500000+beutelwolf 2500000+beutelwolf 2500000+beutelwolf 2500000+

Quote:
Originally Posted by hos View Post
for machines, and for hardcore collectors like me it would work. but for the most, it won't, because human brains are rather familiar with names when they like to associate something with something else. names hold the key.
Well, when I organise my very own unknows on my computer, I use numeric keys to keep matters organised. What I sometimes do, for certain common unknowns, is that I give them nicknames (in addition).

The numbers are definitely useful for organisational purposes anyway.

Using them as names is not everyone's cup of tea, so drawing on my nickname trick, we could do something similar as a matter of course: when an additional-material-thread for an unknown is opened the thread creator can give the unknown an invented name of his or her choice, under the condition that the thing is distinct and does not trip up our forum's modest search engine - no point inventing a name here that's used elsewhere or that cannot be found. So we could have some unknowns tagged as Beatrice Beachball or Eulalia von Eulenqual.

Regarding the separate issue of what counts as a solve, and whether the id-request should be dissed, there is the following natural distinction:
  • name is found. Tick
  • externally recognised unknown (e.g. iafd unknown) is found; that's a half-tick
  • internally recognised unknown is found, i.e. the request equals an earlier opened but yet unresolved id-request, e.g. a box entry. Tick.
The difference between the last two is (i) that the former enters the unknown into the system when it was not there before, while in the latter case the request becomes redundant, and (ii) we may regard the efforts of the external source to find a name for the model as potentially insufficient and want to allow the vef crowd have a go at solving the mystery. So in that case that would be a solve in which the id-request would not be closed, unless that externally recognised unknown had a vef-thread anyway.
beutelwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to beutelwolf For This Useful Post: