Thread: RIP thread
View Single Post
Old April 11th, 2017, 10:01 PM   #6361
tsunamiSD
Veteran Member

Thanked 641,213 Times in 53,183 Posts
tsunamiSD 2500000+tsunamiSD 2500000+tsunamiSD 2500000+tsunamiSD 2500000+tsunamiSD 2500000+tsunamiSD 2500000+tsunamiSD 2500000+tsunamiSD 2500000+tsunamiSD 2500000+tsunamiSD 2500000+tsunamiSD 2500000+
Default Carolyn Kelly, R.I.P.

Excerpts from a blog by Mark Evanier:

Quote:
A truly lovely person left us last night around 10 PM. Carolyn Kelly was, as many of you know, the daughter of the great cartoonist Walt Kelly, creator of the newspaper strip, Pogo. She was also a cartoonist in her own right and some years after his death when the strip was revived for a time, she briefly drew her father's greatest creation. I occasionally said that she was his greatest co-creation but she thought that was excessive and asked me to stop saying it.
Though she dabbled in other cartooning and in animation, most of her artistic endeavors were in the area of book design. In 2011, she united those skills with a passionate desire to see her father's work properly preserved and made available. That was when she began working on the award-winning series from Fantagraphics Books that is reprinting that glorious feature.
She not only co-edited and designed the books and painted the covers but with a devotion that transcended mere editorial conscientiousness, supervised and sometimes personally did the necessary restoration work. On many of the older strips, only imperfect source material was available so precision surgery had to be done if these books were going to be done right. Carolyn did her part of it right using one of my computers and my drawing table. She often put long, long hours into just one daily strip to get it the way her dad had originally drawn it.
Quote:
She was one of the most compassionate people I've ever encountered; the kind who never met a person in need — even total strangers — without wanting to help them in some way. In fact, one of the things we argued over at times was my feeling that she was putting way too many other people, including me, ahead of her own needs.
Carolyn had many, many talents to accompany all that niceness. In addition to cartooning and book design, she would crochet magnificent scarves and hats.
Also, she was a superb cook and it was never a matter of slavishly following someone's recipe, not even her own. She would invent on the fly, adding in some of this and a lot of that along with a pinch of something or other, all selected and measured on sheer instinct. That meant the final product was always surprising and when I said, "Hey, this is great. Can you make it again?" her usual answer was that she wasn't sure what she'd done but would try. The next time, it would not be the same but it would usually be even better.
tsunamiSD is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to tsunamiSD For This Useful Post: