View Single Post
Old September 15th, 2018, 12:49 PM   #1950
zeddcontra
Vintage Member

Thanked 17,781 Times in 892 Posts
zeddcontra 50000+zeddcontra 50000+zeddcontra 50000+zeddcontra 50000+zeddcontra 50000+zeddcontra 50000+zeddcontra 50000+zeddcontra 50000+zeddcontra 50000+zeddcontra 50000+zeddcontra 50000+

My theology or lack thereof has evolved a lot through my life. My degrees are in philosophy and theology and I'm a former minister. At very least, I've lng held that all "revealed" or traditional narrative God-language is myth and metaphor, and don't consider faith to be a virtue. I'll still identify as a Christian, my cultural and family roots being important to me, but speak in terms of "faith heritage" rather than "faith."

I guess I'm kind of a schizotheist--if Thomas Aquinas and Richard Dawkins had a baby, it would probably be me. From what was once a robust faith in all the fairy tale stuff, what keeps me from identifying as atheist is pretty much just that the concept of primary causality still has a grip on me. I once thought that was totally compelling; its now downgraded to simply credible. I'm still trying to wrap my mind on the idea of cause and effect themselves being emergent properties, as maintained by Sean Carroll, but I'm not quite there yet. That would be a game changer if I were.
zeddcontra is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to zeddcontra For This Useful Post: