View Single Post
Old October 15th, 2013, 02:39 PM   #9
zorin
Vintage Member

Thanked 68,446 Times in 1,177 Posts
zorin 350000+zorin 350000+zorin 350000+zorin 350000+zorin 350000+zorin 350000+zorin 350000+zorin 350000+zorin 350000+zorin 350000+zorin 350000+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid_Charlemagne View Post
Thanks for everyone's feedback. Below is a new image I created today that takes into account your suggestions:
- color saturation should be up
- I have adjusted the color balance a bit
- higher resolution
- I saved at a slightly lower (higher?) JPG compression/quality ratio to reduce file size, though it hurts a bit to spend time on the images and then see compression artifacts
- this pic actually spans 2 pages. I have tried to make the seam as inconspicuous as possible
- not sure why Pimp and Host is discouraged. Seems fine to me. Any particular reason I should use the other services? Just curious.

The reflections in the stockings now jump out rather unnaturally IMO.
It looks like you adjusted the white highlights based on measurements of the reflecting surfaces in the picture which is something you should avoid.

An important thing to keep in mind before starting colour adjusting is making sure your monitor is calibrated correctly.
In windows you can manually calibrate your monitor via the Advanced tab of Colour Management in the control panel (Windows 7).

Another thing to keep in mind when colour adjusting is that white highlights in printed pictures are never completely white (i.e. at a value of rgb=255, for a printer this would mean no ink at all which is never the case) and neither are shadows completely black ( rgb=0 ).
Rule of thumb is shadows at rgb=12 and white highlights at rgb=242 ( the so-called 5% rule ). Though these are not absolute values to adhere to, more of a guideline.
Anything below rgb=8 will not show much detail anymore and neither will anything above a value of rgb=245.

Last edited by zorin; October 16th, 2013 at 08:32 PM..
zorin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to zorin For This Useful Post: