View Single Post
Old August 5th, 2010, 11:52 PM   #15
Dekoda
Vintage Member

Thanked 24,261 Times in 822 Posts
Dekoda 100000+Dekoda 100000+Dekoda 100000+Dekoda 100000+Dekoda 100000+Dekoda 100000+Dekoda 100000+Dekoda 100000+Dekoda 100000+Dekoda 100000+Dekoda 100000+

Quote:
Originally Posted by dohupa View Post

Can't be bothered learning Photoshop for a few skin mags really...

Hi there Dohupa!

Yes I agree, Photoshop is not that hard to use, but the thing is, it isn't worth spending the money to buy Photoshop if you just want to do same basic editing to scans. I tell a lot of people that. I ask them what they plan on doing to their scans, and if they say some basic editing, then I don't recommend Photoshop....that's overkill.

Photoshop can be as easy or as hard as you want it to be. I found that out when I first started using it. I was intimidated by all of the tools, filters, palettes, etc., but I was told to just use what I needed....a bit of sharpening, cropping, resizing, etc. That's how I first started with PS. Once I got comfortable with those tools and filters, I started playing around with other tools and filters, and if I didn't understand what I was doing, I asked others in the group.

With PS, I found that you learn one thing at a time and eventually, you know a lot about it.

As for scanning at 300 dpi, well it all depends on what you want to do with the picture. If you are going to get rid of the magazine, then scanning at 300 dpi will give you the ability to print out the picture at the size it was in the magazine and retain the original sharpness of the magazine picture.

If you don't ever plan on printing the picture, then it depends on how big you want to display it on your monitor. If you plan on resizing the picture to a given size....like 800 x 600, or 1024 x 768 or 1600 x 1200, etc. then you need to scan it at a dpi that when re-sized to one of those dimensions, will give you a picture that is 96 dpi (some people use 72, but I like 96.), otherwise you will lose some detail.

When I save the picture, I save it as either a Photoshop Document (PSD file) or as a TIFF. Bitmaps are good also, I just have always used the other two.

Looking at your scan, it looks good. I was wondering, did you place a black sheet of paper on the back side of the page when you scanned it? I notice some bleed through in the scan. Usually placing a black sheet of paper behind the scan when you scan it will eliminate that, but not always. Sometimes the paper they use is so thin that nothing will prevent bleed through.

Last edited by Dekoda; August 5th, 2010 at 11:58 PM..
Dekoda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Dekoda For This Useful Post: