View Single Post
Old July 14th, 2010, 04:02 PM   #7
keefriff
Torn and Frayed

Thanked 131,638 Times in 5,993 Posts
keefriff 500000+keefriff 500000+keefriff 500000+keefriff 500000+keefriff 500000+keefriff 500000+keefriff 500000+keefriff 500000+keefriff 500000+keefriff 500000+keefriff 500000+

I agree that LeBron could have handled it better. He could have done it quietly and maybe people's reaction would have been different but Cleveland would be pissed off no matter what he had done. As far as this not being a business for the players, I disagree with that 100%. These guys have a short window to try and make as much money as they can. Their careers in sports typically last less than five years. I certainly would be trying to make as much as I could knowing that I could blow out my knee tomorrow and be done forever. The owners make money or else they wouldn't pay the large salaries that they do. I don't begrudge ANY proffesional athlete for trying to get the most that he can. I know it is not brain surgery but neither is acting and nobody says a word when movie stars demand 15 million dollars to make horsesh*t movies. It is the nature of the business and if the demand is there then I can't blame them one bit for trying to get whatever they can. It is a game but one that makes alot of money for the owners and the players. As far as risk goes as related to business, what about an athlete in the last year of his contract? Isn't he risking everything everytime he ventures onto the court, field, diamond? He could tear his knee up and never get another contract. Do you think the owner will give him some sort of a severence? Not likely. All athletes risk their livelihood everytime they go to work.
keefriff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to keefriff For This Useful Post: