View Single Post
Old July 14th, 2010, 02:58 PM   #3
grossnex
Veteran Member

Thanked 91,873 Times in 2,857 Posts
grossnex 350000+grossnex 350000+grossnex 350000+grossnex 350000+grossnex 350000+grossnex 350000+grossnex 350000+grossnex 350000+grossnex 350000+grossnex 350000+grossnex 350000+
Wink

I'm going to help you out here my brother. This is a worthy topic for discussion.

I have to say that I don't have any problem with LeBron James leaving Cleveland. That was his choice & he made his decision to leave. The problem I'm having with this whole thing is the self promotional narcissistic behavior. I was watching his prime time special & honestly it all felt like a dream. I had to pinch myself. Never before had I seen such a publicity stunt from an American athlete.

LeBron might be one of the best players to ever dribble a basketball by the time it's all said & done. But, what exactly has he accomplished to warrant this type of "branding?"

Micheal Jordan's face was all over TV through the various commercials he had (Hanes, McDonalds, Nike etc.), but when he left basketball to play baseball for those 2 years all he did was hold a press conference & that was during the afternoon! Oh yeah, and at that point Jordan had 3 championships he could hold up & show everyone.

Up until this point I liked LeBron very much. He's an unselfish player on the court & in Cleveland it was a 1 man show. It was fun to root for him when he went up against the powerhouse teams like Boston & the Lakers. Now he is the powerhouse team! I still don't think they beat the Lakers this upcoming year only because these 3 guys (James, Bosh & Wade) are all young players who want to put up big numbers & there is only 1 basketball.

I just don't see why a basketball player is treated by the media as if he's some major political figure & give him an hour in prime time TV to announce a decision as to where he's going to play next year. This is setting a disgusting precedent!
grossnex is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to grossnex For This Useful Post: