View Single Post
Old May 5th, 2018, 05:42 PM   #34526
scoundrel
Super Moderator

Thanked 278,820 Times in 26,211 Posts
scoundrel 1000000+scoundrel 1000000+scoundrel 1000000+scoundrel 1000000+scoundrel 1000000+scoundrel 1000000+scoundrel 1000000+scoundrel 1000000+scoundrel 1000000+scoundrel 1000000+scoundrel 1000000+

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARLTON BROWN View Post
I have met Polanski on two seperate occasions and I still consider him to be an outstanding film director. I don't know what's he's like today, but considering all the shit he went through at one point in his life, he is/was a very nice guy.

What he did with Samantha Gailey was obviously very wrong, especially by present day standards, but it was far from unusual in those times. That's partly the reason why so many members of the Hollywood elite helped him to leave the country.

These kind of ongoing American witchhunts simply become ridiculous in the end, especially after half a lifetime has passed. You'd think he was a Nazi war criminal or something. And let me add that who in their right mind would want to return to any part of the US to face a legal system where justice is virtually out of control and you might end up with a truly apalling sentence?

As I recall, Ms Gailey had no problems with Polanski and was very happy to meet him again. A more sensible approach clearly wouldn't go amiss in this instance. Time to let things go I'd say.
Part of Roman Polanski's problem I would say is that he did not face the music at the time. It would have been in the past now if he had faced up to it then; but his status as a fugitive from justice is in the present and will never go away unless he faces up to it and returns to California to accept the verdict and judgment of the court. The Academy would not have much of a case for banning him now over something which happened in 1977 if he had served his time. Probably they would have banned him then and re-instated him decades ago after he had left prison and worked to rehabilitate himself, and any move to ban him again would probably be dismissed as double bubble.

Running away was his decision and now he must suck it up.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
scoundrel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to scoundrel For This Useful Post: