View Single Post
Old December 9th, 2012, 03:16 PM   #6
pub

Thanked 6,389 Times in 262 Posts
pub 25000+pub 25000+pub 25000+pub 25000+pub 25000+pub 25000+pub 25000+pub 25000+pub 25000+pub 25000+pub 25000+
Big Grin Ringo or Wrongo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Spade View Post
On a scale of wrongness that statement is right up there with the Earth being flat and Ringo Starr being a really good drummer.
No contest re Monroe v Derek - Monroe every which way.

But why be so hard on Ringo? He was a professional drummer earning his living before chancing his arm with the then unknown Beatles. While he may not have been the best drummer in the world he was the perfect skinsman for the Beatles, despite what Lennon may have joked about him not even being the best drummer in the band. A lot of what he did in the band was about feel and interpretation of the music - and the fact that he was the one Macca, Lennon, Harrison (and Sutcliffe) wanted because he 'fit'. I've heard far more technically able drummers who's music leaves me cold but I can't think of one Beatles track I dislike because of what Ringo did on it. The guy was a far better drummer, and bigger influence than a lot of people give him credit for! And he could still out play most people on this site, which may or may not include you Sam!

Just my opinion obviously...!
pub is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to pub For This Useful Post: