View Single Post
Old October 29th, 2008, 07:25 PM   #10
Stroking_it

Thanked 3,231 Times in 387 Posts
Stroking_it 10000+Stroking_it 10000+Stroking_it 10000+Stroking_it 10000+Stroking_it 10000+Stroking_it 10000+Stroking_it 10000+Stroking_it 10000+Stroking_it 10000+Stroking_it 10000+Stroking_it 10000+

Ah - a few more posts. You're right - it is a slow burner ;-)

I guess the best source of classic stripper music it "Take It Off - Striptease Classics" which contains my personal faves "The Stripper" by Davis Rose and "Bumps and Grinds" By Sonny Lester. Readily available from Amazon and the like.

The next best CD is called "Music of the Stripper" and it is a whole bunch of striptease tunes all performed by David Rose's orchestra. Its available to download from a site on the internet but I', not sure about the legaity of posting up links to copyrighted material here, so I won't do so just yet

I've managed to find one or two odd tracks here and there on P2P and by purchasing the occaisional tune from a compilation album. "The Big Strip" by Cy Payne is another great tune, and its used in the opening and closing routines on the video "Mary Millington's World Striptease Extravaganza".

I also used to own the video "The Great British Striptease" (A.K.A. "An Unbelievably Dirty Evening With Bernard Manning"). This has some great tunes as well as some rearrangements of the classics. I've copied some of the better ones onto my PC.

Greenman is correct in that I am very sprcific in my tastes. My idea of classic stripping is propoer "gown & glove" routines (as I beileve they are known). HOwever a lot of retro striptease videos include belly dance and go-go. Also, the actual cheesecake and burlesque routines from the 40's and 50's are usually far too tame and uncoreographed to qualify as an act of any sort (ni my opinion). I once bought four videos from Something Weird and was highly dissappointed with them.

There was once a site whose name escapes me for the moment. Striporame.co.uk or some such. Anyway, it was designed to promote striptease from the UK but also reported on striptease-related news from all over the world. I e-mailled the webmaster to enquire why it was that whenever someone wants to conjour up the architypa image of a stripper they almost always use gown & glove style of dress, and music such as "The Stripper" by David Rose, and yet when one comes to look for footage of actual performances of this ilk from yesteryear there are pracically none to be found?

His answer was that (proably) the gown & glove style of clothing is a throwback to the days of Gypsy Rose Lee when the acts themselves were much more tame and the music usually more mainstream dancehall waltz and the like, but the more raunchy music comes from a later age when styes had moved on. Also, he ventured that gown & glove was too cumbersome a style to strip out of in the time afforded by the tunes. Thus both the most recognisabe styles of clothing and music of the typical stripper were never actually used together in either historical period. That is until when the neo-burlesque movement started re-creating "classic" striptease. The irony is that they appear to be re-creating routines that by and large never happened!
Stroking_it is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Stroking_it For This Useful Post: