View Single Post
Old April 21st, 2017, 04:57 PM   #30208
CARLTON BROWN
Grand Vizier

Thanked 35,610 Times in 3,210 Posts
CARLTON BROWN 175000+CARLTON BROWN 175000+CARLTON BROWN 175000+CARLTON BROWN 175000+CARLTON BROWN 175000+CARLTON BROWN 175000+CARLTON BROWN 175000+CARLTON BROWN 175000+CARLTON BROWN 175000+CARLTON BROWN 175000+CARLTON BROWN 175000+

Quote:
Originally Posted by rewbear View Post
Thanks CARLTON for raising this point, that refers back to recent discussion on the UK's lack of a written constitution.

A constitution would set out the duties and responsibilities of a Member of Parliament such that anyone elected, no matter which party they are supported by, or none, would know them and know the consequences of ignoring them, and we, the voters, would be able to hold them to account. I don't suppose it has occurred to CARLTON, and it wouldn't occur to me either, to write to your MP and tell them to "Buck your ideas up sonny and start doing something for your local constituency instead of warming the backbenches or else.", and unless you are a member of a local constituency party there is no way to hold your MP to account.

Ah me, how I drone on sometimes! But I read the recent posts on the constitution with interest as much of intelligence was written, and it got me to thinking that a 'Constitution of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland' is long overdue. Come on ERII, how about taking the lead on this one?
Actually, I have had several exchanges with my local MP in recent years about issues from housing to traffic problems and wind turbines. The response is always the same - I'll look into it. I've also had a few direct meetings with them. Really, quite a nice person, but totally bloody useless. My other half has also pestered this person over the Women's pensions issue, along with others in the same situation. They all received a nice response and the MP agreed it was wrong, but then went in the other direction when instructed to tow the party line.

Unfortunately there is no serious opposition to my local MP. They will get back in with a substantial number of votes and that's about the sum of it.
CARLTON BROWN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to CARLTON BROWN For This Useful Post: