View Single Post
Old June 5th, 2010, 08:24 AM   #5
deepsepia

Thanked 83,435 Times in 7,199 Posts
deepsepia 350000+deepsepia 350000+deepsepia 350000+deepsepia 350000+deepsepia 350000+deepsepia 350000+deepsepia 350000+deepsepia 350000+deepsepia 350000+deepsepia 350000+deepsepia 350000+

Quote:
Originally Posted by DARPA View Post
The problem: How to go about making it look more realistic. There are a several complications to take into consideration here including but not limited to...
"Realistic" is a moving target. There's "realistic" in the sense "looks like something shot today", but that's an illusion, since the film based workflow was very different. And then there's "realistic" in the sense that that you're repairing the artifacts of aging.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DARPA View Post
This process is far from perfect and I'm constantly looking for ways to improve upon it. I'd be interested in hearing any ideas for color correction. I've dabbled with curves but that's a process I just can't figure out properly.
When I color correct, I usually use LAB mode. Its one of those bits of Photoshop that most people never explore, basically instead of having Red, Green & Blue channels to correct, you have one Luminence channel, and two color difference channels (A & B).

There are a lot of useful aspects to this. One is that with only two color channels to work with, you have fewer adjustments to make to do your color correction. The other is that you can work on the Luminence channel in isolation to sharpen, blur, or remove image details without getting a lot of color artifacts
deepsepia is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to deepsepia For This Useful Post: