View Single Post
Old March 26th, 2017, 11:21 PM   #397
Devius
Veteran Member

Thanked 228,177 Times in 23,504 Posts
Devius 1000000+Devius 1000000+Devius 1000000+Devius 1000000+Devius 1000000+Devius 1000000+Devius 1000000+Devius 1000000+Devius 1000000+Devius 1000000+Devius 1000000+
Default Trump’s ‘Art’ Didn’t Work on Failed AHCA Deal

Following the spectacular failure of the American Health Care Act, it’s now abundantly clear that President Trump’s first 100 days in office will almost certainly not include a significant legislative victory for him or the Republican Party, despite their rare control of Washington, or their repeated promises to get rid of Obamacare. Furthermore, a central, self-made myth about Trump — that he is a master deal-maker — seemed to evaporate when it came to negotiating legislation. Indeed, insider accounts suggest that Trump’s deal-making style likely hurt the AHCA more than it helped, as did his seeming lack of commitment to the actual process of policy-making and governing.

“Nobody knew healthcare could be so complicated,” Trump told a group of governors in February. A month later, when the president finally decided to embrace his role in the legislative process and try to whip up support for the AHCA bill, Trump deployed a messaging strategy that was light on substance, heavy on Trump. Rather than assuage the policy concerns of skeptical Republicans, Trump often bullied them instead, asking them how well he did in their districts and telling them how badly the bill’s failure might hurt them, and him, politically.

“Forget about the little shit,” Trump reportedly said to a group of 30 representatives who had come to the White House. “Let’s focus on the big picture here,” and by big picture Trump meant his reputation, his agenda, and his chances at reelection.

Motivated by the desire to win, perhaps exclusively, Trump was unable to address specific policy issues when talking with members of the House GOP or conservative groups, and was just trying to play — and enjoy — the role of closer. Trump “didn’t know, didn’t care, or both,” when it came to details, according to a congressional aide who spoke with CNN. A GOP congressman added that the president “did very little to say why we should vote ‘yes,’” and “kept talking about his damn election.”

Source:
http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer...ahca-deal.html

Bit too early to write off the Donald's 100 days just yet - there is still the tax reform...

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Devius For This Useful Post: