View Single Post
Old January 24th, 2018, 11:58 AM   #4548
rewbear
Vintage Member

Thanked 8,000 Times in 526 Posts
rewbear 25000+rewbear 25000+rewbear 25000+rewbear 25000+rewbear 25000+rewbear 25000+rewbear 25000+rewbear 25000+rewbear 25000+rewbear 25000+rewbear 25000+

As soon as I found this thread it became my favorite of all the excellent ones on this forum. But I have just realised that it is an amusement, even a pointless indulgence. Because, with all the wise words quoted here about concepts such as freedom, or equality, or tolerance, or peace, how do you explain such things to someone to whom the instructions on a soup can are a trial?

How do you describe freedom to one who's life is a constant toil of back-breaking work paid with a pittance?

How do you explain equality to a race of men who's wives are kept in virtual slavery and have been for 10,000 years, and the practice is condoned by their religion and it's modern-day preachers?

How do you expect someone who hasn't had a day's schooling in their life and gets murderous if they can't have the latest fashionable trainer to grasp the meaning of tolerance?

And how do you broker peace amongst men who have been born and brought up in war with their neighbour and for whom death is a daily companion?

The greatest of men, those whose words and thoughts deserve to be posted here for the inspiration of us all, are those that see the futility of their endeavours and yet continue to teach these concepts because not to try is to accept that they are not important, that their opposites: inequality, slavery, bigotry, war and all the evils in this world can exist without fear.

I can re-up most posts. Just PM me and I'll give it a go or let you know.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
rewbear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to rewbear For This Useful Post: