View Single Post
Old November 20th, 2011, 08:09 AM   #2678
tocofan

Thanked 1,825 Times in 121 Posts
tocofan 5000+tocofan 5000+tocofan 5000+tocofan 5000+tocofan 5000+tocofan 5000+tocofan 5000+tocofan 5000+tocofan 5000+tocofan 5000+tocofan 5000+

Quote:
Originally Posted by donside View Post
I remember the austerity of the post-war years of the late 50s, and this would have encouraged quite a few girls to pose for 'pin' money. The 'swinging' sixties really got going around 1963-4, and by then 'enlightened girls' just didn't give a damn. As soft publications became more easily available and sold more copies, so the model's incomes rose. By 1965 a flash of stocking-top, or a glimpse down a wonderful cleavage was no longer indecent, but just titilation. By 1970 some women had started burning their bras, and titilation to some, was thought to be exploitation. Even Julia Morley couldn't escape their scrutiny.
Donside has some interesting observations here. As a lad growing up in the Sixties in a small town, there was no top shelf and we had to pluck up courage to buy Parade, which along with its sister magazines Carnival and Fiesta and the original Men Only, were the only "nudie" magazines around (I don't count Health and Efficiency and Playboy, which were stocked by the big chains). Even then I don't recall Parade being sold by the likes of WH Smith. I didn't encounter Spick, Span and Beautiful Britons until a little later, because they were sold by the back street newsagents you didn't go into! Parade and the like tended to be sold by more High Street independents because they featured articles, stories and sport, which made them a bit more "respectable". Spick, Span and Beautiful Britons, on the other hand, were out-and-out girlie mags solely for the Jodrell Bank market. By the late Sixties, though, as Donside says, fashions, films and attitudes began to change and, although women did begin to burn their bras, the shackles came off the girlie mag market, the top shelf was born and tit mags (and more) were two a penny. Just not the same.
tocofan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to tocofan For This Useful Post: