View Single Post
Old January 18th, 2012, 03:58 AM   #24
riteman

Thanked 1,101 Times in 163 Posts
riteman 5000+riteman 5000+riteman 5000+riteman 5000+riteman 5000+riteman 5000+riteman 5000+riteman 5000+riteman 5000+riteman 5000+riteman 5000+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norbert84 View Post
Well, there's the view of the uploader and another of the downloader. I guess most members here are dowloaders and hosters like Oron, Wupload or Filesonic are either slow or have awful waiting times for free users. So, with the increasing use of different hosters, that would mean that we have to buy multiple accounts while some of the uploaders make money for what they have no justification. I've seen forums where some folks excessively upload movies, mostly on Oron, and they're certainly not doing it for fun. Such poorly managed forums look like virtual black markets to me and I would not like to see such a great place like VEF resembling to that trash platforms. RS is great these days, even for free users. It's fast and there are no waiting times. Even though I think it's still too good to be true, so this might change if more people return to RS.
In the bad old days of Rapidshare.de they were universally hated and the switch to .com seemed like yet another trick, more exploitation. But these days they are great to use even for free downloads so why are hosters like [m]oron so damn popular in the forums one encounters? Just before catching up with this thread I realized that it was money [surprise? - remember the old days of Im*gesh*re?]. That is why we see Oron and similar less frequently here but I do have to acknowledge several dedicated uploaders who have done a great service to our community and also realize the amount of time they have spent sharing. Most of those I have in mind are not the mercenaries to be found elsewhere.

But it's ironic that Rapidshare was once almost universal and that they have since bought their membership prices down. They are generous to free downloaders and keep files available. Yes, Norbert84 may well be correct that RS could soon change back to their old ways. But with so many other hosters that are widely used now few of us can afford membership to all of them. And the so-called free downloads from many fizzle out whether one uses a d/l manager or not. The poster who suggested an approved host for downloads here may have something -- and then we shouldn't care about the small monthly cost of membership.
riteman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to riteman For This Useful Post: