View Single Post
Old May 19th, 2014, 08:35 PM   #28
VintageKell
Vintage Member

Thanked 96,980 Times in 2,804 Posts
VintageKell 350000+VintageKell 350000+VintageKell 350000+VintageKell 350000+VintageKell 350000+VintageKell 350000+VintageKell 350000+VintageKell 350000+VintageKell 350000+VintageKell 350000+VintageKell 350000+
Default Another Way Of Skinning A Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorin View Post
Came across this image of Amanda Cass recently and decided to repair it ....

This was my result(s) ....

Original Repaired:

Repair Enhanced

These results were obtained using the clone brush, the small repair heal tool, and the lighten and blur tools. For the enhancement I adjust brightness and colours on a copy - comparing against original repair, until I am happy I have made an 'improvement' (remaining very conscious that its a subjective opinion thing, which I why I offer the original as well).

I rely almost entirely on eye and patience. I expand the pictures up 300% or 400% and then go over it section by section. Occasionally I reduce size to confirm results look OK then resize up again. In many ways, my 'technique' if I can call it that, is as hard as Zorin's technical approach for anyone else to follow, as it is so subjective.

It's interesting to note how all the 'repairs', do not end up with the same final images. All of which just goes to show how subjective all the techniques are.

So I would like to publically thank Zorin, for giving such a full explanation of the proper techniques to do these tasks. Any visitor to this thread will now be able to approach a repair using a photo editor such as Photoshop, Paint Shop Pro and the free GIMP, with some confidence.

But I will add one note of caution.... practise makes perfect. There is no one stop magic fix, even though some tools offer a quick fix button. These won't clean or repair damaged areas etc .. in the end practicing with the tools can get some great results.

Cheers

VK
VintageKell is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to VintageKell For This Useful Post: