View Single Post
Old October 3rd, 2012, 01:11 PM   #10
rustler
Veteran Member

Thanked 84,530 Times in 4,955 Posts
rustler 350000+rustler 350000+rustler 350000+rustler 350000+rustler 350000+rustler 350000+rustler 350000+rustler 350000+rustler 350000+rustler 350000+rustler 350000+

Quote:
Originally Posted by squigg58 View Post
Having mentioned a possible WWI thread in response to a comment made by our learned friend Mal Hombre in the WWII thread, I suppose I'd better "put up or shut up"!

Mal suggested that "the RFC and RNAS were often forced to make do with planes that were markedly inferior to enemy machines."

I don't disagree in principle, but I do think it was the pace of development which "forced" one side or the other to fly inferior aircraft at any given time; not the respective politicians or senior commanders.

I'm not aware of aircraft development being held back by "the powers that be" during WWI, but I have no problem with anyone putting me right on that score!
In November 1916, a very young, they all were!, and inexperienced Manfred von Richtofen encountered Maj. Lanoe G. Hawker VC. in what was to become a famous encounter.
The already antiquated DH.2 pusher, that Hawker was flying was no match for the new Fokker Albatross, that were just then emerging.
I seem to recall, that Henderson tried to get Sopwith Triplanes and was refused, as these, far superior machines were destined for the RNAS. The result was that Hawker, a vastly experienced pre war flyer and already a national hero, an 'ace', and holder of the Victoria Cross, was, after a long and gallant fight killed. Had he been flying a 'Tripe' he would undoubtedly have killed, or at least shot down von Richtofen, and the pilots and crew of some 70 aircraft would have been saved from a grim fate.
"I think on-stage nudity is disgusting, shameful and damaging to all things American. But if I were 22 with a great body, it would be artistic, tasteful, patriotic and a progressive religious experience." - Shelley Winters

Please read and follow
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
rustler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to rustler For This Useful Post: