View Single Post
Old April 10th, 2015, 02:54 AM   #8
effCup
Vintage Idiot

Thanked 356,692 Times in 21,624 Posts
effCup 1000000+effCup 1000000+effCup 1000000+effCup 1000000+effCup 1000000+effCup 1000000+effCup 1000000+effCup 1000000+effCup 1000000+effCup 1000000+effCup 1000000+

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaktop View Post
we face a challenge in the modern era where modern models have no listing in the approved sites but advertise using their social media site.
[...]
Modern models use twitter, Facebook, vk.com, etc
If a model posts and ids her images on these sites in order to advertise, why can't we reference them in solving I'd queries
Good points, teaktop. I don't really have answer(s) so maybe others will chip in? What I will say is that vef's list of "recommended" sites such as iafd, etc. are there because those responsible for putting information on them are regarded as at least somewhat "disinterested" regarding the content--I don't mean they don't care for it but rather than they're not financially or otherwise "interested" or rewarded parties, and that has possible implications for their behaviour & the quality of their information. Plus the information has in the past been found to be sufficiently reliable (nowhere is 100% accurate) as to earn a degree of acceptance/authority here.

A model's own site is an "interested" party/publisher. She/they may not wish to divulge all of her appearances/content/model aliases, info. etc. in that context. Something similar can arguably be claimed regarding a photographer's or studio's index of models--e.g. I've seen in other places discussions of whether photog. X is prepared to "admit" responsibility for certain image sets that may be financially entangled with/by other parties, etc.

That shouldn't mean all models' own sites are regarded as junk but it does mean we should be at least a bit wary of claims on them. As others have noted above it's a matter of context and judgement so we may simply have to assess such sources on a case-by-case basis. If a model's site's information seems consistent with what else is known then great, but if it's claiming something that nowhere else corroborates then I'd be wary of simply accepting it at face-value.
effCup is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to effCup For This Useful Post: