Thread: Windows 10?
View Single Post
Old June 12th, 2015, 11:03 PM   #20
Rick Danger
Vintage Member

Thanked 31,225 Times in 1,714 Posts
Rick Danger 100000+Rick Danger 100000+Rick Danger 100000+Rick Danger 100000+Rick Danger 100000+Rick Danger 100000+Rick Danger 100000+Rick Danger 100000+Rick Danger 100000+Rick Danger 100000+Rick Danger 100000+

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMe21
I am an old guy with very limited computer knowledge.
I'm no Spring chicken either (58). The "Annoyances" books I find are that unique paradox of being easy to read but with technical insights that only a Microsoft Engineer would bring to the table.

Quote:
Please keep us informed after Windows 10 comes out.
I frankly am hoping that I'll be in the position to just buy a new Windows 10 machine, and that I won't have to upgrade a perfectly (?) good machine and go on the "bleeding edge". There were enough warnings about the test candidate of Windows 10 that I elected to pass being one of the "millions" Microsoft claims were involved in the testing.

I'm so pissed off about not being able to burn music CDs for friends and family that I might try and find an old Windows XP machine, or engineer a bootable XP thumb drive. I am not too worried about potential security exposures of having an unsupported operating system. Also, I understand from a blogger involved with the Windows 10 beta that Windows Media Player does not work after a Win 10 upgrade is installed. I would enjoy hearing from any of the contributors to this thread how the replacement for WMP works. I sure as hell don't want to spend time rebuilding my music and video library.

I can't wait to see what Redmond has DROPPED from Windows 10.

My analogy concerning IBM and the PC/AT debacle and Microsoft's ham-fisted rollouts of Vista and Win 8 can be summarized as this: at some point, it seems that "technology" companies wind up becoming nothing more than "marketing" companies selling this year's flavor of snake oil at prices that make you yearn "for the good ol' days". IBM blundered with the AT, then with the PS/2 and it's proprietary Microchannel Architecture, then with OS/2. With these brilliant moves it's no wonder IBM had to sell off it's PC and printer divisions. Microsoft has missteped with Windows, Windows Phone, a bad Xbox launch a few years ago, the Zune media player, and now continues to try and ram it's web services down our throats. The Surface tablet looks OK, but once again Microsoft is late to the party with the technology that consumers really want.

Microsoft is selling snake oil while companies like Apple and Google are selling technology. Don't be surprised if the boys and girls in Redmond pull some amazing tactical blunder that causes Microsoft to nose dive and wind up the next IBM selling consulting services or the subject of a Chinese or Russian business takeover.

Last edited by Rick Danger; June 17th, 2015 at 04:19 PM..
Rick Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Rick Danger For This Useful Post: