View Single Post
Old April 24th, 2017, 02:33 PM   #11
nbwriter

Thanked 4,895 Times in 230 Posts
nbwriter 10000+nbwriter 10000+nbwriter 10000+nbwriter 10000+nbwriter 10000+nbwriter 10000+nbwriter 10000+nbwriter 10000+nbwriter 10000+nbwriter 10000+nbwriter 10000+
Default Tech Know-How: Dos And Donts Of Vid Processing

Dear Contributors,

Quote:
... I tried various routes including full screen frame capture from playback
Full screen capture will usually result in "jitter" due to the lag caused by your PC attempting to process every single frame of a movie (in RAM) and transfering it back onto your hard disk. Most movies run at 24 frames per second, so even with "4 cores" you're asking alot from your processors!

The way to avoid jitter is by using a good encoder in the first place... MPEG4 is very good on Windows 7, for example. I used to use XVID (but good old Microsoft doesnt like that encoder much) although you'll get a good "output file" with XVID for sure. You can also re-process header information in avi files, which will reduce "jitter" further.

Quote:
... What's the point of having 4-core computing power and not using it?
4 core is blisteringly fast, but unless you have a basic knowledge of file formats and optimization software, you could be "ice skating uphill" for most of the time.

Quote:
... The 520p sections of the material... don't look markedly inferior after processing on a 28" screen compared to the 720p...
Assuming you have a 1080p TV, 520p content will be passable, but cannot be considered HD (technically). The secret is to optimize 520p content or find a 720p source of the same content and still optimize, so you're then making best use of your TV resolution (whatever screen size you have).

Quote:
If you're interested ... I'll post an FF link to my results once I've sorted out the title timing.
I'm not sure what a "FF link" is, but yes, I've had an interest in video production since forever (more of an Art than a science, once you get into it). But alot of it is geeky, super-geeky, so grasping the basics of optimization first is the way forward.

Kind Regards NB
nbwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nbwriter For This Useful Post: