View Single Post
Old August 16th, 2011, 12:02 AM   #26
Denaniel
Administrator

Thanked 425,709 Times in 13,440 Posts
Denaniel 1000000+Denaniel 1000000+Denaniel 1000000+Denaniel 1000000+Denaniel 1000000+Denaniel 1000000+Denaniel 1000000+Denaniel 1000000+Denaniel 1000000+Denaniel 1000000+Denaniel 1000000+

I have to confess that I don't have a blu-ray player yet. When I first switched from encoding in XviD to x264, I wanted to ensure that my newly encoded vids could play on a standalone player in addition to a PC or Mac. I've since learned that even the MP4 files I've made that are not "blu-ray compliant" will often play on blu-ray players anyway.

The reason for this is that most blu-ray players can not only play commercial blu-ray discs, but also MKV and MP4 files that meet the H.264 standard, e.g. files encoded with x264. Turns out "blu-ray compliant" really means that the compliant file can be used in blu-ray authoring software to compile a standard blu-ray disc for playing in any blu-ray standalone player.

This is equivalent to converting an AVI file to standard DVD format (VOB, IFO and BUP files in a VIDEO_TS folder) for playing in a standalone DVD player. You could convert an AVI file to MPEG-2 to create DVD-compliant files that can be used by DVD authoring software, just as you could use my blu-ray compliant MP4 files in blu-ray authoring software.

But just as many standalone DVD players will also play AVI files, most blu-ray players will also play MP4 files, regardless of whether they are "blu-ray compliant". When I first began encoding in x264, I didn't realize this, and so I made all of my earliest MP4 files to be blu-ray compliant. You could probably convert those MP4 files to standard blu-ray format, but there is really no need to do so.

Please PM me if any of my links are dead.

Don't post your thanks, hit the "Thanks" button!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Denaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Denaniel For This Useful Post: