View Single Post
Old March 5th, 2017, 02:25 PM   #9
maildude
Vintage Member

Thanked 14,111 Times in 748 Posts
maildude 50000+maildude 50000+maildude 50000+maildude 50000+maildude 50000+maildude 50000+maildude 50000+maildude 50000+maildude 50000+maildude 50000+maildude 50000+
Played the "retro" RPGs back on the old NES, SNES, Gameboy and PS1 and PS2 systems. Liked them for their simple fantasy elements. But, as games have done, they get more involved, complex, and mechanical and thus lose their simple appeal. Nowadays I don't play them. Haven't for years. Just saw that FFIII for the SNES was going for big bucks on eBay. Here are a few I liked and played:

FF1 (American) for NES: Still one of the best 8-bit soundtrack openings in vidgame history.
Dragon Warrior 3 for NES: Multi-character, multi-world. Plus you get to run a weapon store!
Paladin Quest for SNES: Great story, soundtrack, and innovative magic use.
FFIII (American) for SNES: Began the interactive phase of RPGing. Maybe one of the best retro RPGs ever.
Chrono Trigger for SNES: Some call this the best ever.
Final Fantasy Legend II for Gameboy. Pure fun. Simple. Believe it or not, I beat it with four monsters AND four robots.
Skies Of Arcadia for Dreamcast: Swashbuckling and pirate ships!!
Final Fantasy X for PS2: Loved it. Gripping story, innovative grid system. Best of all, Blitzball minigame!

Back in the day, I was an RPG snob. To me, FF and DW were REAL RPGs. Anything like Legend Of Zelda I would have called an "adventure game."