View Single Post
Old October 3rd, 2016, 06:24 PM   #14
AmateurEmale
Vintage Member

Thanked 15,794 Times in 1,755 Posts
AmateurEmale 50000+AmateurEmale 50000+AmateurEmale 50000+AmateurEmale 50000+AmateurEmale 50000+AmateurEmale 50000+AmateurEmale 50000+AmateurEmale 50000+AmateurEmale 50000+AmateurEmale 50000+AmateurEmale 50000+

@gaeldom: Thank you for civilly debating this issue.

I should tell you that when I began my political activism in the middle 1990s (1994-96) I had the good fortune to meet two militia commanders, an acquaintance of my extended family named Gary, and a black male named J.J. Johnson, who was himself married to Dr. Nancy Lord, 1992 V.P. candidate of the Libertarian Party. [!] They are not "gun nuts" as conventionally understood, merely guys who were freethinkers and concerned with the vanishing Bill of Rights protections in the U.S. Neither man struck me as crazy or violent, either. In fact, J.J. had a sense of humor about Ross Perot: "Thank God he didn't win!"

Now, in response to gaeldom's question, according to the Militia Act, every able-bodied American (not sure if it's just males anymore, if women can now be in combat) is technically a part of the militia, and in a national emergency the Militia(s) of the United States would be called out. I'm not entirely sure if the law specifies it has to be a public militia such as the State National Guards, or if reputable private militias such as the Ohio Military Reserve or Ohio Unorganized Militia would join in. Remember, as recently as Iraq in the early 2000s, the U.S. Government was sending "private military contractors" and "private security forces" overseas. Yet because my cousin's ex- was in the National Guard, his unit was eventually deployed to Afghanistan.

I personally would like to see private militias taking over most of the function of the National Guard and/or standing army, because the Founding Fathers thought standing armies suspect. And no, I don't think we'd see more crime and violence in a society where Americans could open-carry battle rifles or handguns. As Robert Heinlein once said, "An armed society is a polite society."
AmateurEmale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to AmateurEmale For This Useful Post: