View Single Post
Old June 12th, 2017, 03:21 PM   #10124
neo2008
Vintage Member

Thanked 151,349 Times in 4,389 Posts
neo2008 750000+neo2008 750000+neo2008 750000+neo2008 750000+neo2008 750000+neo2008 750000+neo2008 750000+neo2008 750000+neo2008 750000+neo2008 750000+neo2008 750000+

THE HERO

In The Hero Sam Elliott is Lee Hayden an actor at the twilight of his career and life
Elliott is perfect in the role never missing a beat as a man trying to make amends and peace with his life.
Laura Prepon is good as Charlotte a woman who walks into her life,at first i thought her character would be one note so it was a nice surprise that she wasnt.

There are also nice touches by Nick Offerman,Elliott's real life wife Katharine Ross and Krysten Ritter
It's cliched and padded at times but definitely worth watching

Scale of 1-10 a 7½

It Comes at Night

It Comes at Night is an ambiguous im talking ambiguous witha capital A !!
As the film begins a family of 3 have secluded themselves to the woods,out of fear of some plague.
One day another family of 3 comes a knocking and the fun begins.

I would say the ambiguity works for about 75% of the films running time as the tension and suspense is raised to edge of your seat levels,its aslo well acted by the entire cast.
The hisses and a couple of boo's from the audience i watched it with may indicate how many might feel about the films conclusion,i definitely had some problems with it,and word of mouth about it may definitely alter the volume of audiences curious about the film.

Scale of 1-10 a 7½

The Mummy

This 2017 The Mummy film is supposed to be the gateway to other Universal Pictures/Dark Universe monster mash franchises like Frankenstein and The Invisible Man but is this film's foundation strong enough for it to happen?

So what did i like about it.
The opening Mythology,Sofia Boutella as Princess Ahmanet nice blend of scary and beauty,some of the action sequences,the SFX,Russell Crowe chewing up some scenery,some nice dark turns,and Tom Cruise does his best with the script........

Ugh that script !! This is what you get when you have to many cooks in the kitchen....4 different writers,deliver something half baked with little seasoning.
It's uneven and jumbled.
There is absolutely no chemistry between Cruise and Annabelle Wallis as archeologist Jennifer "Jenny" Halsey
In fact the film makes a joke about any real romantic connection or even the characters caring about each other.
Jake Johnson was funny at first as Cruises sidekick but his character is turned into a grating, weird,recurring
nightmare.
The film trys to borrow some dark humor from An American Werewolf in London,that completely doesnt work
What's crazy is i still want to see what they come up with for the rest of The Dark Universe,but it's up to the ticket sales for The Mummy or maybe Universal will shell out the bucks for at least 2 more films despite how this first outing performs

Scale of 1-10 a 6½
neo2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to neo2008 For This Useful Post: