View Single Post
Old May 19th, 2017, 06:51 PM   #30602
CARLTON BROWN
Grand Vizier

Thanked 35,623 Times in 3,211 Posts
CARLTON BROWN 175000+CARLTON BROWN 175000+CARLTON BROWN 175000+CARLTON BROWN 175000+CARLTON BROWN 175000+CARLTON BROWN 175000+CARLTON BROWN 175000+CARLTON BROWN 175000+CARLTON BROWN 175000+CARLTON BROWN 175000+CARLTON BROWN 175000+

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloke57 View Post
I agree vinceprince.

I know it isn't popular and I don't like it either - but the fact is that we have an ageing population (including me!) and one way or another it is going to have to be paid for. That means either more direct, progressive taxation or the sort of measures the tories are advocating. But raising income tax has become a no-go area in the last 30 odd years. People complain about "stealth taxes" but that is all governments are left with!

I, like everybody, don't like paying taxes - but I'd rather there was a progressive approach.
I would like to agree, but the ageing population has been with us for decades and is not exactly new. Yes some people are living longer, but that's just a natural progression and this is hardly a surprise. What we do have is a massive influx of immigrants eating up resources and everyone knows this, but is afraid to admit it. The UK population is probably now 70+ million, if we knew the truth.

When you are wasting our money on crap like HS2, giving massive amounts away in overseas aid to rubbish regimes and making truly terrible political mistakes all the time, it's hardly surprising that the kind of people who will be affected by these proposed, very nasty cuts are seriously angry because they've made the biggest contribution and have repeatedly been promised things were going to be taken care of.

So those with assets who've worked all their lives and have in many cases paid large amounts of tax, are expected to subsidise layabouts who've spent their lives doing nothing, then reach old age and expect things like care to be handed to them for free. Give me a break.

This country is now almost broken, thanks to term after term of truly dreadful government that is always out of touch with the people. The NHS is collapsing, the police are only interested in making money from motorists, councils employ thugs to secure litter fines, the military is short of essential equipment and the very wealthy have never had it so good.

I have no confidence in Theresa to make things any better for anyone except the Hooray Henries who want to get back to bit of weekend bloodthirsty fox hunting. I have no confidence in my local Tory MP to ever bother doing anything for local people and as there is nobody else I want to vote for, I'll simply not bother this time around as it's a total waste of time.
CARLTON BROWN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to CARLTON BROWN For This Useful Post: