View Single Post
Old April 16th, 2016, 10:44 AM   #30
effCup
Vintage Idiot

Thanked 356,702 Times in 21,626 Posts
effCup 1000000+effCup 1000000+effCup 1000000+effCup 1000000+effCup 1000000+effCup 1000000+effCup 1000000+effCup 1000000+effCup 1000000+effCup 1000000+effCup 1000000+

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowdiver View Post
all a post would do is confirm that one of the model's commonly used 'professional' names is actually correct.
What do you mean by "correct"?

If a given model's professional name is already commonly used, then what evidence is facebook providing? For example, we know Sandra Scream is a made-up name, and that it's strongly/widely associated with a particular performer. Is that an "incorrect" name if it happens to differ significantly from her real name? For vef's purposes, no.

Or are you talking about a model with, say, two well-known professional names, and facebook evidence seems to support one over the other? But does it really? Even if it shows that professional name A is closely associated with that person's real name whereas professional name B isn't, that still doesn't necessarily make A their best-known-as name.

A concrete example: vef has two names for the same model: Helen Page (her name on Joanie Allum's website) aka Abby Kirchner. I don't know which of those two is the better-known handle. Hypothetically, facebook evidence that her real name is XYZ seems to me to have no bearing upon which of those professional handles is more famous, even if her real name were "Abigail Kitchener" or "Helen Paige" (both made-up, just to illustrate).

This seems to me to be similar to the fallacy of "believability" that's sometimes raised regarding professional names, i.e. that Sandra Scream, say, can't be her best-known-as name because it doesn't sound very Polish, or whatever. Yes, I know she's not Polish but MIR has had precisely that type of discussion about other models & their handles.

I can imagine that facebook might potentially provide confirmation that model A really did also go by the name B, whereas until then vef had them as separate models, or perhaps only suspected the two might be the same but wasn't sure, things like that.
effCup is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to effCup For This Useful Post: