View Single Post
Old January 15th, 2010, 08:13 PM   #4
danton
Vintage Member

Thanked 22,518 Times in 1,373 Posts
danton 100000+danton 100000+danton 100000+danton 100000+danton 100000+danton 100000+danton 100000+danton 100000+danton 100000+danton 100000+danton 100000+

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabler View Post
danton, one word posts are a waste of the forums resources. They are neither constructive or welcome.
This part of the forum is called General Discussion & News.
Apologies. I don't know what came over me. I do not think England can win the World Cup given the present media in the country. (Naturally, I hope they do, but that is not the point.) The level of intrusion, comment and snooping around the team and coach is such that the national side has a weight of expectation upon it which simply cannot be met. The psychological strain is perhaps why so many gifted players crack up or under-perform.

A relative who lives in Germany told me this story. When the German television was summing up on Euro 90 (I recall from memory), they turned to 'Emperor' Franz Beckenbuer. Who did he think was 'the' player of the tournament? Without missing a beat the great man said "The Englishman, Gazza".

Paul Gascoigne was one of the most gifted players this country has ever produced and was completely, as in totally, destroyed psychologically by the media in England. He was pulled apart in a game of circulation battles he neither controlled nor understood. A great player (I never supported a single team he played for) was lost to his country because of the relentless search for 'stories' with which to beat the opposition (in Fleet Street) over the head. Perhaps he was his 'own worst enemy'; but why was he not cared for?

I dare say that comment is not 'welcome' either. Nor constructive. Back to the girls. Farewell, chaps!
danton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to danton For This Useful Post: