View Single Post
Old March 10th, 2014, 02:09 PM   #3
tygrkhat40
Long Suffering Bills Fan

Thanked 153,135 Times in 9,629 Posts
tygrkhat40 750000+tygrkhat40 750000+tygrkhat40 750000+tygrkhat40 750000+tygrkhat40 750000+tygrkhat40 750000+tygrkhat40 750000+tygrkhat40 750000+tygrkhat40 750000+tygrkhat40 750000+tygrkhat40 750000+

Pizza in Buffalo has been described as halfway between New York style and Chicago style, since we're roughly halfway between the two cities. Although more New York style shops are opening up due to the students at UB and Buff State from the NYC area.

When I was growing up, our pizza joint was Pizza by diRose. They had a sweet sauce with a hint of oregano and they used large pepperoni. When they went out of business, our allegience switched to Bob and John's La Hacienda. But also within driving or delivery distance is Avenue, Daddio's, Franco's, 2 Just Pizza shops, Gr8 Pizza, Bocce Club and LaNova. This is just in the North Buffalo area, with the exception of LaNova, which is on the Lower West Side of town, but they deliver anywhere in the city.

We do have the national chains as well, but they're few and far between. And in this area, they make decent pizza; they have to or they go out of business. For example, Taco Bell has tried at least twice to break into the Buffalo market but due to our local taco chains, Mighty Taco and Jim's Steak-Out, they've failed. I'm pretty sure Buffalo Wild Wings is also failing here because, let's face it, we invented the chicken wing as food, so, you know.

My favorite toppings on pizza are mushrooms, pepperoni (large or small cup), onions and bacon. Tolerable are mild sausage, sweet peppers and banana peppers. And I like some specialty pizzas; Just Pizza does a Buffalo wing pizza and a 3 cheese, steak and banana pepper pizza. And Wegman's, a local supermarket chain, makes a seafood pizza with a white sauce that hits the spot during Lent.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

tygrkhat40 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 34 Users Say Thank You to tygrkhat40 For This Useful Post: