View Single Post
Old May 7th, 2018, 07:17 PM   #10973
scoundrel
Super Moderator

Thanked 278,561 Times in 26,187 Posts
scoundrel 1000000+scoundrel 1000000+scoundrel 1000000+scoundrel 1000000+scoundrel 1000000+scoundrel 1000000+scoundrel 1000000+scoundrel 1000000+scoundrel 1000000+scoundrel 1000000+scoundrel 1000000+
Default Lost in Space (1998)

I never followed the 1970s TV series, which I think used to be shown on BBC2 occasionally; so I didn't have any particular preconceptions.

This film has some fairly good actors in it but mostly they are wasted. Matt LeBlanc (Joey from Friends of course) has a shallow and silly part which suits him perfectly as the all-balls-and-no-brains spacecraft pilot, Major West. Just occasionally Major West shows he isn't empty of human spirit, most notably in a nice little interlude when the cute and unattached adult Robinson daughter [Heather Graham as Dr Judy Robinson] is overwhelmed and disoriented and frankly demoralised by the spectacle of an alien planet's night sky. Major West explains that this happened in history to the earliest European explorers who ventured into the Southern Hemisphere, and emulates the earlier mariners by inventing new constellations - Porky Pig and Bugs Bunny. This is just a little bit more sensitivity and more empathy than normal and totally in character, because naturally Major West has a professional interest in navigation. Of course he spoils it by making an unsubtle pass at the girl and getting a glass of water poured over him.

The two child actors playing the Robinson children are fine. None of the other adult players is at all bad, but the show stealer is certainly Gary Oldman as the sly and treacherous Dr Smith, a sabateur caught on the spaceship he intended to destroy and forced to seek a tenuous truce as a prisoner of people who know he tried to murder them. Oldman brings out the extremely dark humour of his character's personality, the man's cheerful acceptance of his own wickedness and remarkably accurate assessment of the individual traits of his captors. For entirely selfish reasons which he does not bother to pass off as anything other than totally selfish, Dr Smith saves the party more than once; and to their bitter annoyance he is simply too useful to shoot, even though its all his fault they are lost in space anyway.

I reckon about 5/10 and most of that because I thought the cast was not too bad.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
scoundrel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to scoundrel For This Useful Post: