View Single Post
Old April 13th, 2015, 03:15 AM   #15
effCup
Vintage Idiot

Thanked 356,735 Times in 21,628 Posts
effCup 1000000+effCup 1000000+effCup 1000000+effCup 1000000+effCup 1000000+effCup 1000000+effCup 1000000+effCup 1000000+effCup 1000000+effCup 1000000+effCup 1000000+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper II View Post
I realize info for some of these '60s models is scant but this magazine seems to be unreliable with regard to names. So far we have two different magazines calling her by two different names.
I think you've raised a valid question. I agree it's worrying/problematic.

I'd say beutelwolf created those model threads because at the time it was the best info. he had. He made a model thread for one with a 2-part name, but for another with just a single-name he create an MIR query. His subsequent matching of the latter query (by now in the mystery box) to an existing model thread is an unfolded rather than an additional-info. because he's adding to that model thread outside MIR rather than to an existing MIR query... even if we might now perhaps wish it had been the latter rather than the former so we could reconsider which name really is her best-known-as.

But won't it always be the case that subsequent info. can turn up to suggest alternate possibilities for a model's best-known-as? I think "rare" models, i.e. those whose current thread only has perhaps just 1-3 mag. appearances, will always expose this conundrum most starkly.

An example might be Annabel Cawston, from Mayfair 23-08, 1988-08, here. The second post in her thread is someone finding her as Janine in Gallery. OK, not really a suitable name for a change of id. Someone else then finds her twice in AUPH as Amanda Wolfe, the first set of which is related to the Mayfair set. That's perhaps a viable name for an id (2-part), but is it worth the hassle of changing her thread title, or sending it back to MIR for consideration? We could, but maybe we've all got enough other things still to do? /shrug/

Perhaps you or other folk have suggestions for what they think is a better way to handle this kind of problem?
effCup is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to effCup For This Useful Post: