View Single Post
Old February 20th, 2017, 08:04 PM   #1990
JCat
Vintage Member

Thanked 14,289 Times in 974 Posts
JCat 50000+JCat 50000+JCat 50000+JCat 50000+JCat 50000+JCat 50000+JCat 50000+JCat 50000+JCat 50000+JCat 50000+JCat 50000+
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy View Post
You didn't mention which browser you're using JCat. If it's Firefox, install NoScript. You'll still get the pop-up, and/or under window the first time you click on an image with them for the day (and that should be the last time you see them), but it will do as the name implies, and not allow the script from the offending site to run. All you should see, as I do, are a few links, the NoScript logo, and an otherwise blank page.
Thanks all three of you for the advice. To answer some of the above questions (as I remember them) the pop-up on Imagebam, when it does happen, seems to be just the first time I click on any Imagebam link that day. I do use Firefox, with AdBlock Plus (ABP). I thought I had NoScript installed as well but I can't find it, or am looking in the wrong place, or am thinking of a previous computer. For some reason, when I clicked on a "bam" link here just now, nothing bad happened. So either something is blocking it, or I clicked on a link earlier today somewhere and forgot that I did. Or perhaps Imagebam removed that problem on their end. I will also take steps to remove any "PUPS" with the programs mentioned, although a brief scan with my Kaspersky on Saturday revealed no problems. One additional step I took on Saturday was to re-set Firefox to not automatically restore to the last visited site (such as those pesky pop-up pages) after a crash or browser shut down. It just goes to my homepage (Google) now.

Last edited by JCat; February 20th, 2017 at 08:12 PM..
JCat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to JCat For This Useful Post: